Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LWF - the photoshop part

http://www.aversis.be/tutorials/vray...l_gamma_03.htm

So we followed that. Sure I'm getting better results, but I'm still missing some things in being able to understand this properly. I'm the type that doesn't just want something to work. I need to understand how it works as well (also so i can help other people with it then).

On the second page, the last part called "Third problem - saving the image" it mentions: "adjust photoshop to work in linear space."

I'm not even getting that problem of saving a dark image, so it's hard to understand. When I have all those settings set up and I save an image from the VFB, then open it in photoshop, it looks the same.

Is this just an old tutorial? I can't figure out what's going on.

I'm using the same settings as far as I can tell:
    1. In max preferences enable gamma/lut correction and set gamma to 2.2.
    2. Check affect color selectors and affect material editor.
    3. Leave input and output gamma = 1.0.
    4. In Vray color mapping, leave it set to linear, and set gamma to 2.2.
    5. When loading a normal texture, specify it is gamma 2.2 in the bitmap loader.

That's the same exactly. But when I save the image it opens the same in photoshop. So what am I missing? This is a Very difficult thing to search for also because many people give help that's wrong, and you can tell, but it's hard to sort through the good/bad ones.

What is this business about changing photoshop to work in linear space. I thought it already did, only that it displays the gamma for whatever your process is, like different print processes and/or a specific monitor.

I have started to use gamma 1 across the board and I check sRGB space in the VFB. I save my image as a EXR, which respects the sRGB in the VFB. No more monkeying around with gamma for me
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I use the same workflow but i check "adaptation only" and sRGB in VFB, i think the thrid problem is when you export your output in a format different from EXR or HDRI
      show me the money!!

Comment

LWF is like a zombie.
        Once you think it's finally dead someone drags it back into the light,
        where it's infecting new vray users to mess around with their max gamma defaults.
        Then the usual wave of confused postings start:
        "my pictures look washed out, my bump/3rdparty plugin/displacement whatever is broken, PLZ HELP!!1!"

Please let it rest in peace.

And look at all the nice and shiny buttons in the vray color-mapping rollout.
        Reflect, repent and reboot.
        Order shall return.

Comment

you are getting the same/right image cause you are already "baking/burning" the 2.2 with the Color mapping.... if i don't understand your issue bad

Comment

if you are not saving to exr/hdri then you are getting the same result since you did not check "adaptation only" in color mapping. This needs to be ticked and you need to save to exr. Then in the vfb you need to tick the sRGB button otherwise it will look dark. (it will save the "darker" version) which is the correct version but only if you save to floating file like exr. In photoshop the correct curves etc will already be applied and so then it will display the same in photoshop and your "sRBG ticked" vfb

If you dont want to use exr then you need to override the gamma to 2.2 when saving your image to jpg. Then your 8 bit jpg will be "correct" in photoshop also. But that defeats the purpose of using float in the 1st place since then you can't comp your elemenst properly
            Last edited by Morne; 20-08-2010, 04:45 AM.
            Kind Regards,
            Morne

Comment

Tammo's comentary is the perfect analogy..."Zombie"....I like it
              show me the money!!

Comment

Working...
              X