Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions for a render-ready shrub pack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for a render-ready shrub pack?

Though we have Onyx, we rarely have either the time nor the skill to get decent shrubs ready to render with VRay/ForestPro.

What libraries of geometry-based shrubs are people using?
    Kind Regards,
    Richard Birket
    ----------------------------------->
    http://www.blinkimage.com

Forgive me for blowing my own trumpet here, but I recently uploaded a small bunch of handmade bushes, shrubs and gardening assets, all pretty high-detailed, to Turbosquid. Have a look here if you like and see if it works for you.
    Check my blog

Comment

They look good. Problem is, we are on Max2009 64bit.
      Kind Regards,
      Richard Birket

Comment

You could still use the .obj version and the provided texture maps, but yes, you would have to rebuild the materials from scratch - which wouldn't be much of a time saver.
        Check my blog

Comment

How about if you were to save them as vrayproxies? Those should load into Max2009 I think. How complex are the materials? Could they be remade easily using the 2010 versions as a guide?
          Kind Regards,
          Richard Birket

Comment

Although I don't like the trees in NatFX, I do like the shrub-, plant- and flowerseeds. For each seed you can make the right VRay materials, save them in the NatFX matlib and after that you can generate lots of variants with the click of a button. Conversion to proxies is possible to ! Not exactly cheap, but surely effective !

Comment

Presumably proxies would work in 2009, but it wouldn't give you any advantage over the .obj as you would still need to re-create the mats. The mats are not complex: the leaves are two-sided materials with diffuse, spec, glossy, bumps and opacity (do not forget to turn off filtering in the opacity map for fast rendering). All the maps are included. And so is customer support
              Check my blog

Comment

Haha! Nice one BBB3!

You should do a bundle price for your plants...I've got $240-worth in my TurboSquid basket. Yikes!
                Last edited by tricky; 27-08-2010, 04:11 AM.
                Kind Regards,
                Richard Birket

Comment

I want to know 2 things Bertrand, first, when do you find the time? and secondly what program did you use or did you model them from scratch?

You don't need to answer either question

The plants look great, think I might buy some!
                  www.peterguthrie.net
                  www.peterguthrie.net/blog/
                  www.pg-skies.net/

Comment

Originally posted by BBB3 View Post
                    Presumably proxies would work in 2009, but it wouldn't give you any advantage over the .obj as you would still need to re-create the mats. The mats are not complex: the leaves are two-sided materials with diffuse, spec, glossy, bumps and opacity (do not forget to turn off filtering in the opacity map for fast rendering). All the maps are included. And so is customer support
                    ok. Just bought a few of them.
                    Any chance of emailing me a screengrab of the texture setup for Max2011 and I can recreate them it in Max2009? I can PM you if you like with the ones I bought.
                    Kind Regards,
                    Richard Birket

Comment

Tricky: I just PMed you. I will post the mat settings here later tonight as I don't have access to the workstation where they are stored at the moment.

PG: Thanks Peter. These were modelled in Max using photo references and the textures scanned from a variety of leaves. I've also done a few Onyx models recently as part of this series but these are, obviously, not for sale. As for time, I'm afraid this comes at the expense of sleep
                      Check my blog

Comment

As for time, I'm afraid this comes at the expense of sleep
                        Isn't that always how it is!!!!
                        -----Dwayne D. Ellis-----

Comment

Working...
                        X