No announcement yet.

Max 2011 really slooooow delete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems that there is a specific number of per-scene objects that trips the 'slow to delete' switch. I am beginning to wonder if it is related to the quantity of RAM on the graphics card since it seems not all have this issue.

I have a GeForce 8800 GTX with 768 MB of onboard memory.
    Ben Steinert
    pb2ae.com

Comment

ive got a gtx 285 with 2 gig of ram... and i get the problem trying to delete even a few hundred objects in a big scene.

Comment

Well that settles it...it's most likely not video card related.

EDIT: So when I get to about 350 objects per scene, I start to notice a little delay if I try deleting all 350 objects. It seems that for each object in the scene the delete time for each object in the selection is incrementally increased by the number of objects in the scene. By the time I get up to 10,000 objects in the scene, there is a noticable delay per object, probably about 1 second. If I were to select 20 objects and hit delete with 10,000 objects in the scene my rough estimated wait time would be 1 minute!

Oddly enough, poly count seems to have no impact on deletion time as far as I can tell.

EDIT2: That's still not quite right since it only took about 7 seconds in that scenario...only 7 seconds
        ...all I know is that PhysX should be disabled by default and easily called on if needed. I'm done playing with it now.
        Last edited by beestee; 16-03-2011, 02:38 PM. Reason: Additional Research
        Ben Steinert
        pb2ae.com

Comment

I haven't had this problem myself ( and have been using the PhysX plugin a lot lately ) but I've been using pretty small scenes with nowhere near 10,000 objects.

Anyway, good find beestee.
          Steve Burke
          www.burkestudios.com

Comment

so ive managed to get this passed to the max dev. team. (its only a one-way pipe unfortunately so dont expect any feedback) but maybe the "beestee fix" will be incorporated in 2012

Comment

Good sleuthing beestee. That did the trick for me. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X