Max 2011 really slooooow delete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max 2011 really slooooow delete

I know this is probably a question for the Area forum, but this forum seems to be populated with the best and brightest. And sorry if I'm way behind the curve on this, but I finally started using 2011 in Dec 2010.

Has anyone else noticed how slow Max 2011 is when deleting objects? I've estimated it's .5 seconds per object. Which isn't too bad if you're deleting 12 objects. If you're cleaning up a Revit file and plan on deleting 1,500 objects you'll have a lot of spare time on your hands. I have this condition two workstations. One Intel, one AMD. One fresh rebuild, the other a year old installation. I've poked around the innerweb but haven't found a fix. Any suggestions?

Forgive me, I've had this problem before as well, and I don't remember how I fixed it, but I will think hard about it. Does it occur when you copy an object as well? (Because mine did)
    Colin Senner

Comment

maxscript undo off() maybe?

Comment

converting things to editable poly solves it.
        Bobby Parker
        www.bobby-parker.com
        e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
        phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
        • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
        • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
        • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

When I had this problem for a couple weeks (it was painful), nothing seemed to solve it. I'm still trying to remember.
          Colin Senner

Comment

Hmmm... Well one file I was working in contained only editable polys. So that doesn't seem to do the trick for me. I can even open up Max fresh. Clone a few hundred teapots or boxes and its still super slow to delete them.

Comment

i have exactly the same problem... scattered a proxy forest, then marquee select the ones i want to delete (about 6000) hit delete, went to make coffee... still going... after 3 hours i killed max and simply selected the ones i wanted to keep, and saved them to a new file.

ill try the undo thing, sounds like the kinda thing that might help.. never done a comparison with editable poly, but not really possible when its proxies youre deleting. tbh i think this has been a problem in max for years.. i certainly remember problems deleting in max 8 when i was doing the same sorta thing with forests back then. Its quite possible its worse now though.

Comment

I emailed my old coworkers to see if they remember how we fixed this. Hopefully they'll get back with me asap.
                Colin Senner

Comment

Alright, I got a reply. It was with max 2009 that we were having this problem and it was the viewcube causing it. We disabled it on our machines and everything was back to normal (we had to rename AutoCam.grp or some file in the plugins directory to AutoCam.bak to disable it). Check it out.
                  Colin Senner

Comment

How could we ever function without the ViewCube? there has to be another way
                    Bobby Parker
                    www.bobby-parker.com
                    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
                    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
                    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
                    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
                    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

heh thats the exact same trick you use to stop max crashing all the time. who'd have thought teh viewcube was so....useful.

Comment

I don't know about all of you, but the viewcube, ribbon, and MR arch&design materials has sped up my workflow at _least_ 1%. Plus as an added bonus, the "File" button at the top is now 230% easier to click (because it's 230% larger!)...
                        Colin Senner

Comment

dont even get me started.. every interface chage theyve done to max recently has added more clicks to get a job done. wtf.

at least the caddies are cool though eh?

Comment

I have been having this issue and had been following this topic to hopefully get a solution. I had the viewcube disabled within max but had not renamed the AutoCamMax.gup file. Went ahead and did that and used a test scene with a couple thousand boxes to test differences...sadly, no difference for me.

I decided that I was going to get to the bottom of this and started pondering which major new features would have any need to track scene objects. First thing that popped into my head was PhysX, so I went and renamed "nvpxplugin.dlm" located in 'Program Files/3dsmax2011/plugins' to "nvpxplugin.dlm.bak" and got a few expected maxscript errors when loading the file. Not really a problem since I have only played with PhysX and never actually use it or have need of it in typical day to day work. Surprisingly, this fixed my "long time to delete" issue.

I hope this helps someone else.

EDIT: Found a more elegant solution...just move the file 'px_start.ms' from 3dsmax2011/scripts/startup to 3dsmax2011/scripts and it will fix the issue without breaking anything. Then if you do ever need to use PhysX, you can just run 'px_start.ms'. Remember you will need to restart max for the change to take effect.
                            Last edited by beestee; 16-03-2011, 11:24 AM.
                            Ben Steinert
                            pb2ae.com

Comment

how the hell did you guess that!?! works like a charm!!! deleting takes about 1 second now. amazing there isnt more complaint about this "feature" of max.. i guess your typical user maybe isnt trying to delete 10,000 objects at a time..?

this should be announced to the world

Comment

Working...
                              X