No announcement yet.

2013 - LAG After Render

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when you're in isolate and have couple of objects and want to isolate again, you 1st have to UNisolate before you can isolate further

am I missing something? Is it something stupid I'm doing or did Autodesk really release this to the public?
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Comment

Isolate objects used to be written entirely in Maxscript. This is no longer the case, it is now part of the core Max application. I don't see any reason you couldn't use the old Maxscript version in 2013 though.
      Dan Brew

Comment

I have the suspicion that there are no dedicated max developers anymore. When there is some stuff to fix or improve they call for bids and then some guy in india writes a new isolate.dll, without any deeper knowledge about the program, the original function and how it was intended to be used. That's what I think
        Marc Lorenz
        ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
        www.marclorenz.com
        www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Comment

Originally posted by plastic_ View Post
          I have the suspicion that there are no dedicated max developers anymore. When there is some stuff to fix or improve they call for bids and then some guy in india writes a new isolate.dll, without any deeper knowledge about the program, the original function and how it was intended to be used. That's what I think
          There might be some truth in that. I have no idea what goes on at Autodesk but I know this happens in other organizations.
          Dan Brew

Comment

It is Autodesk's silence, or denial of the software's flaws, on their forum that makes me mad. If you find a serious bug in Vray, Vlado is on it.

I've been using 3ds max since day 1 (and the dos version before that) and it never used to be like this. It all went wrong when Autodesk got involved, maybe through developing the Kinetix and Discreet source code without fully understanding it or maybe through outsourcing development as mention above? The situation got 10 x worse when subscription came along; now they don't have to do anything to attract an upgrade fee. They just buy some 3rd party plugin, mash it in, breaking a few stable features and then it is straight to release.

With the amount of things that break between releases I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even alpha/beta test the software any more. What really baffles me is that AutoCAD was always such a stable product. Though that is when I used it 50% of my working day, about 10 years ago, not sure if it has gone the same way now though?

I read they are planning a compulsory move to browser based cloud programs which has already started with Autodesk 360. Unfortunately I can't find the article now, but I think it was per user, per month fee to access. I'd be happy to see this if we could still install the software on our own workstations, but if it is in the cloud your business is at the mercy of Autodesk & your ISP.

Rant over, that is all.

Cheers,
            Olly
            Set V-Ray class properties en masse with the VMC script
            Follow me for script updates: @ollyspolys

Comment

I'm quite sure I read about this before it was released. I think this was one of the "legacy bug fixes" they were touting...

Originally posted by Morne View Post
              when you're in isolate and have couple of objects and want to isolate again, you 1st have to UNisolate before you can isolate further

am I missing something? Is it something stupid I'm doing or did Autodesk really release this to the public?
              James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
              Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

I didn't have a problem of how it use to work, why would they "fix" what's n ot broken

it is a VERY SIMPLE FIX. They have the little isolate icon on the UI now. The ONLY thing they need to do do is not let this icon affect the command in the quad menu. Thats it. Then it will be fine.
                Meaning:
                Quad menu isolate use to be for isolate. Now it is for isolate AND unisolate. So if you're already in isolate, the quad menu command changes (it has a tick next to it) so then when you use it again it unisolates. Theys should have juyst left it as is, and ADDED the new icon on ui without touching the quad menu command

Makes me wonder how much beta testing goes on nowdays...
                Kind Regards,
                Morne

Comment

this script apparently restores isolate behaviour as per BEFORE 2013
                  http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/sc...-mode-for-2013
                  Kind Regards,
                  Morne

Comment

We've made the jump to Max2013 and are experiencing major viewport-related issues. It is so clunky we can't quite believe it. We have been on Max2009 since its release, and dropped of the subscription program at that point after we struggled so much to get Max2009 working properly (graphics issues, 64-bit issues etc). It caused us real headaches. To be honest, we use a very small proportion of the Max toolset. We mainly model in Autocad and render with Vray, so Max was a vehicle for bringing it all together. Upgrading every year just seemed pointless to us.

However, max2009 is becoming a bit long in the tooth. Plugins and models were increasingly being developed/created for versions after Max2009, so we were becoming less and less 'compatible'. We finally decided to get back onto the subscription and bring us inline with the current release, being told that Max2013 was a far more stable and smooth edition than Max2012. Autodesk were adament that 2013 was 'THE' release, and that it had been thoroughly beta tested for months, which is why there was a service pack as soon as Max2013 was released.

So far, our experience with 2013 has been very poor. Slow viewport performance. Menus keep disappearing. Sluggishness. Delays. Hangs. Undo still is completely unreliable. It is quite unbelievable. Our systems are decent (i7, 16GB, GTX480 cards, SSD hard disks), but I don't think we have had such issues as when we upgraded to Max2009.

Very, very disappointed, and furious with autodesk.
                    Kind Regards,
                    Richard Birket
                    ----------------------------------->
                    http://www.blinkimage.com

Comment

2012 wasnt that bad and my 2012 actually runs like a dream. But yes in 2013 I'm getting major viewport slowdows. The issues I'm getting relates to switching between viewports, maximising it, switching between shaded and wireframe takes forever. Tested it on my ATI 6990 (4gb ram) and we also tested it on a GTX 560 that has same issue with viewports. It seems to be related to Nitrous. Direct3D and OpenGL is a bit better, but then you loose the "niceness" that comes with Nitrous, or should I say thats suppose to come with it
                      Kind Regards,
                      Morne

Comment

We are having a weird issue at the moment on 2 of our workstations. We are using the material editor and tweeking the diffuse colour. The sample swatch is changing colour, but the preview sphere isn't updating at all. It also doesn't update the geometry that the material is applied to when we hit render.

Anyone have this?
                        Kind Regards,
                        Richard Birket

Comment

Originally posted by tricky View Post
                          We are having a weird issue at the moment on 2 of our workstations. We are using the material editor and tweeking the diffuse colour. The sample swatch is changing colour, but the preview sphere isn't updating at all. It also doesn't update the geometry that the material is applied to when we hit render.

Anyone have this?
                          Are you using the Slate editor? If so, have you double-clicked on your material sphere befor editing? I only ask because you're coming from Max 2009 & it can take a little while to get used to the some of the slate editor's nuances - double clicking being the biggest pain

As for the viewport performance, are you using Nitrous or DirectX?
                          MDI Digital
                          moonjam

Comment

Tried with slate editor but it is much to clunky, so we have gone back to 'classic'.

We have been using Nitrous, but we are now trying DirectX because of all the issues and clunkiness.
                            Kind Regards,
                            Richard Birket

Comment

Working...
                            X