No announcement yet.

Filleting edges of simple sink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All of Marius' scripts are just fantastic. Quad Chamfer is great.
    Colin Senner

Comment

Originally posted by MoonDoggie View Post
      All of Marius' scripts are just fantastic. Quad Chamfer is great.
      Totally agree. It's now even better since it's implemented as a modifier.

Comment

Took me less than 2 minutes to model this in max. I believe that this is the correct way to do it:

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	845549Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	845550Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	845551
        Dusan Bosnjak
        http://www.dusanbosnjak.com/

Comment

It is somewhat parametric - there are two edit poly modifiers, one that makes the basic sink shape out of the box (with proper topology) and the other one that creates additional loops to be smoothed, basically filleting the edges. I can move the edge on the first edit poly on the basic shape, and all of the other loops will be planar. If this were collapsed, it would be a bit more tricky to keep the surfaces planar, but not really that hard. What i would do is move the main edges, and then shift+x to constrain everything else, move the fillet edges towards the main edge thus creating a plane, and then moving them back where i need them.

The way i set it up, i can move the edge at the bottom of the sloped face (inside the sink) wherever i want and fillet edges stay planar, but i had trouble moving the top edge on the same face, it messed up some other loops, but then again its just a matter of selecting them and bringing them back.

If you give me your email i can send this to you.

I've been meaning to make some poly modeling tutorials, but i figure i'd need a better website first. I have absolutely no idea why people share techniques that took them a long time to learn, other than getting some exposure for the website. I'm literally a step away from starvation, and i've invested over ten years into learning this.

/rant
          Last edited by pailhead; 22-05-2012, 01:50 AM.
          Dusan Bosnjak

Comment

Name:	4.jpg
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	845552

this is a closeup.

I must admit that the modifier posted above looks awesome, i remember trying something a few years ago and it wasn't useful at all.
            Dusan Bosnjak

Comment

Just purchased the quad chamfer modifier. How long does it take until I get the download link?
              Kind Regards,
              Richard Birket
              ----------------------------------->
              http://www.blinkimage.com

----------------------------------->

Comment

It was almost instant for me. Via email. Hope you like it! I love it.
                Colin Senner

Comment

The modifier looks great, but I hesitate purchasing plugins, because there is always the pain of recompiling for new max versions. Especially materials and modifiers can break whole scenes if they are not longer available for new versions, or buggy (see color correct, bercon maps).
                  With scripts this is usually not an issue, even if they are not as sexy.
                  Marc Lorenz
                  ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
                  www.marclorenz.com
                  www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Comment

I just make sure to collapse my stack before sending to render. For this mod.
                    Colin Senner

Comment

Can you use quad chamfer on this particular model and post the wireframe?
                      Dusan Bosnjak

Comment

Pretty please?
                        Dusan Bosnjak

Comment

I purchased Quad Chamfer about a year ago and while it isn't a magic wand it does work well in many applications.
                          I've posted some images below of it being used on this sink shape. The 'Round' chamfer mode seems to work pretty well here if that's the route you want to go down.

Personally I prefer to poly-model and use a turbosmooth modifier as Dusan has done in an earlier post because I find it much cleaner, easier to alter, unwrap, better with re-entrant corners etc.
                          and I thought that Quad Chamfer was going to be a real timesaver in the 'Parallel' mode to automate adding all the edge loops needed to form corners but it has never worked
                          as needed in this respect unfortunately (hopefully you can see from the two images where parallel is used that it doesn't follow through the edges neatly at the more complex edge intersections).
                          Shame really because I'm sick of using Max's Connect command every 5 seconds to add these loops and that silly pinch/slide slider that only works on integers
                          when often I'd like somewhere between 99-100 (is it so difficult to add a decimal place in there)!

A plugin I use much more often by the same guy is Quad Cap - Very useful for capping flat messy areas of geometry while keeping everything in quads

Name:	edge select.jpg
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	845588Click image for larger version

Name:	QC - Parallel.jpg
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	845589Click image for larger version

Name:	QC - Round.jpg
Size:	272.8 KB
ID:	845590Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	845591

Comment

Wow, i'm surprised it fails on those points, i was expecting it to fail right at the detail which you have zoomed in, and it works quite correct there.
                            Dusan Bosnjak

Comment

I think you should check out the newest version. You seem to be using the old script based one.
                              Signing out,
                              Christian

Comment

Trixian, I was unaware of the newer modifier version, thanks for pointing that out.
                                From what I can see from the videos setting the 'sharpness' to a value of 1 seems to have replaced the 'parallel' mode in the old script. Is that right?

Would you be able to let me know if the modifier (in the equivalent to 'parallel' mode) can achieve what I was attempting to achieve in the last image I posted (the box with one quarter extruded) with all quads?

Not that for the price it would break the bank to buy it myself and try but was just curious before I get round to it!

Comment

Working...
                                X