Cutting multiple boards with a shape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting multiple boards with a shape

I have a bunch of floor boards that I have modelled in a herringbone pattern. They are simple single rectangular polys (1 poly per board) with a uvw map on them. Each one is instanced and then moved into position.

I now want to 'cut' the boards to fit my walls. Is there any good way I can simply draw a shape in the top viewport that traces out all of my walls, and use this to cut all my instanced floor boards? I had hoped 'shapemerge' might work, but it seems not. I think that only works with selecting single objects.

Any tips?Click image for larger version

Name:	cut.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	476.8 KB
ID:	876954
    Kind Regards,
    Richard Birket
    ----------------------------------->
    http://www.blinkimage.com

if your boards are how you like them cant you just convert to editable poly and attach them all to be 1 object to cut?

---------------------------------------------------
    MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
    stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

boolean (intersection) them as one piece would work...maybe not the way you want but that is how i have done 3d roof tiles.
      mh

Comment

If it's one poly object I would just use quickslice.

/Thomas
        www.suurland.com
        www.cg-source.com
        www.hdri-locations.com

Comment

If you really want to keep them all as separate objects. I would select all of them and add a slice modifier, this would be an instance on all the objects and the object would become a reference.
          Repeat for each wall.
          Gavin Jeoffreys
          Freelance 3D Generalist

Comment

Originally posted by Da_elf View Post
            if your boards are how you like them cant you just convert to editable poly and attach them all to be 1 object to cut?
            I suppose I just wanted flexibility in case I add detail at some future point. Converting to single poly may be much simpler. Thanks.
            Kind Regards,
            Richard Birket

Comment

Originally posted by Raven View Post
              If you really want to keep them all as separate objects. I would select all of them and add a slice modifier, this would be an instance on all the objects and the object would become a reference.
              Repeat for each wall.
              Yes - this is the route I was thinking of taking. It just becomes a pain selecting only the planks that need cutting.
              Kind Regards,
              Richard Birket

Comment

Working...
              X