Liquid sim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liquid sim

For a guy who doesn't have any 3rd-party fluid dynamics software, what's a good way to do wine sloshing in a glass that's moving around?

Thanks!
    - Geoff

Ugh.

Maybe try with particle flow and blob mesh? Not going to be very detailed though.

How close are you getting to the wine glass?
    Troy Buckley | Technical Art Director
    Midwest Studios

Comment

I'm not totally sure there is one.

Comment

Not extremely close. the character holding the glass will be shown from the waist up. I seem to remember a long long time ago Max came with a sample file that showed how to use the Noise modifier and the Flex modifier. And there was some clever trickery that kept it within the confines of the glass. I can't for the life of me remember how it was done though. And the file no longer comes with the samples.
        - Geoff

Comment

I've got all of the discs back to Max 1. Could you maybe point me in the right direction as far as version goes. I could look on a couple of the older discs.
          Midwest Studios

Comment

Try Max 6. It's not on my Max9 disk. I think the example had the fluid in a beaker.
            - Geoff

Comment

Okay...give me a few and I will see what I can dig up.
              Midwest Studios

Comment

I didn't see anything with fluid in a beaker. Maybe older than 6?
                Midwest Studios

Comment

I think I first saw it in Max 3, but try Max 4. And thanks so much for looking into this.
                  - Geoff

Comment

The most simplest is glu3d, its well integrated into max, Im not sure weather its free or not though.
                    Dmitry Vinnik
                    Silhouette Images Inc.
                    ShowReel:
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
                    https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

FINALLY! It was on the Max 3 training and support disc.

It's using a Taper / Noise modifier combo and then FFD to fit the glass shape.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Donald2B; 08-10-2013, 11:51 AM. Reason: Corrected information. I get distracted easily! ;)
                      Midwest Studios

Comment

Yess!! Thanks SO MUCH!
                        - Geoff

Comment

I can't get over how genius this technique is.
                          - Geoff

Comment

That scene is impressive, yeah. proper out of the box thinking.

Comment

ahh back in the good old days.. there was nothing but hacks like this while the result is impressive its a heck of a manual technique! if you have some more complex motion on that glass you are gonna have fun with animating the taper...!

you mentioned the flex modifier before.. cant help thinking that might be able to help here. not that i can see exactly how immediately.

glu3d ive played with, but its most definitely not free, and to be honest, a bit crap imho. had a lot of issues with particles penetrating geometry, and problems when trying to crank up the detail ( all the glu3d stuff you see is quite low res compared to other solutions.. kinda like. err.. glue. it is however quite easy to use.

i got a reasonable result using mparticles (lots of them) and skinning them using the pwrapper included with glu3d.. you could also try bercon/vraymetaballs to do the skinning too..

Comment

Working...
                              X