Clear All

• 'Mission Control' (Enhanced Spreadsheet Editor) : Ideas needed

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	879396
    Hi vray people!
    Some of you may remember the 'Material Lister' I wrote a while ago. I've been working on an update for some time now, and as is typical of such a project, it has ballooned out of all proportion.

In summary, it's a tool for viewing and editing any class and their properties, subanims, node and vray properties in an easily filterable and customisable spreadsheet UI. It has the potential to completely change the way you work in 3dsmax allowing you to quickly navigate all types of object and property all within one UI. Do you need to check the difference between two materials/lights/modifiers/cameras/render-elements/etc? Easy. Need to increase the subdivs on multiple materials? easy. Need to select all objects with any modifier/material/map/controller/? Set selected objects to vray matte?

At this stage, I'm looking for suggestions from you all on what features of a spreadsheet editor would best enhance your workflows.

Here's a basic feature-list to give you an idea of what it can do.

Features

Spreadsheet Editor:
    -Lists all instances of any class within 3dsmax along with any number of property/subanim/node-property/vray-property.
    -Class list search/filter
    -Parameter list search/filter
    -Node list search/filter
    -Remembers parameter selection between sessions (the spreadsheet only populates with the parameters you choose)
    -Class specific context menus
    -Direct data entry for String/Float/Integer values.
    -Expression based data entry for Float/Integer values. (ie '=3+4' or '=$sphere.radius/2' )
    -Instant expression controller entry for Float/Integer values.
    -Copy paste values between objects and/or properties.
    -Quick instancing of parameters.
    -Mass edit of multiple parameters/object properties.
    -Mass randomisation of selected or all parameter values.

Supported parameter types.
    -Object Properties
    -Node properties
    -Subanim properties/controllers
    -Vray Object/Light Properties

Context Menus:
    -Classes
    --Select class instances
    --Hide class instances
    --Unhide class instances
    --Freeze class instances
    --Enable Display as box
    --Disable Display as box
    -Materials :
    --Select Objects
    --Hide Objects
    --Unhide Objects
    --Show/hide in viewport.
    --Select objects with material/map.
    --Open material/map in material editor.
    --Delete Material/Map(s)
    --Enable Display as box
    --Disable Display as box

-Objects :
    --Select objects
    --Hide Objects
    --Unhide Objects
    --Enable Display as box
    --Disable Display as box
    --Enable/Disable Vray matte object properties
    --Lock transforms
    --Copy Node properties
    --Paste Node Properties
    --Copy Vray Properties
    --Paste Vray Properties

-Controllers
    (tbc)

-Modifiers
    --Enable
    --Disable in viewport
    --Disable in render
    --Disable

Screengrab of UI will follow.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Patrick.
    Last edited by RE:FORM_STUDIOS; 17-01-2014, 01:44 AM. Reason: Screenshot added.
    Many Thanks
    Patrick

Sounds interesting. Is this based on a .net DataGridView?
    Dan Brew

Comment

I'm glad you're interested!
      It is a combination of splitcontainers, treeviews and a datagridview.

Here's a screengrab.
      The parameters treeview (middle) is collapsable as once you've setup the parameters you typically want to work with you won;t need it cluttering up the ui.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	851256
      Many Thanks
      Patrick

Comment

Looks very promising and incredibly useful! If I can make a feature request:

Would it be possible for you to incorporate some of the formulas from the DMC Calculator into your spreadsheet so that users could at a glance see the actual number of min / max samples a Material / Light / GI will be making based on what the Image Sampler (AA) and local Subdivs is set to?

So for example in your last screenshot, there would be two more columns to the right named something like Current Max Samples and Current Min Samples that show you how many actual samples will be taken based on your scene settings.

Possible / Good idea?
        Akin Bilgic | CGGallery.com
        Modeler & Generalist TD

V-Ray Render Optimization
        V-Ray DMC Calculator

Comment

That is indeed a good idea!
          It would probably have to be implemented as a mouseover event rather than an additional column.

Thanks for the suggestion!
          p.
          Many Thanks
          Patrick

Comment

Wow, that's really cool.
            I've wanted a spreadsheet type view for materials for a while now. Mainly for listing all materials irrespective of whether they are inside multisubs or vrayOverride etc. One feature request I have is to be able to drag one object of material over another to instance it.
            Dan Brew

Comment

Thanks Daniel!
              Yup, I've had the itch to fix this gaping hole in the max toolset for some time!

The example shown is for vray materials, but bear in mind that this tool isn't just restricted to materials, you can list absolutely any data/node in your scene; from render settings, objects, controllers, spacewarps, to modifiers. You name it, it can access it. In addition to that, it should be able to handle any object type not shipped with max; ie custom materials/maps/objects/particle-systems, etc.
              Many Thanks
              Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by RE:FORM_STUDIOS View Post
                The example shown is for vray materials, but bear in mind that this tool isn't just restricted to materials, you can list absolutely any data/node in your scene; from render settings, objects, controllers, spacewarps, to modifiers. You name it, it can access it. In addition to that, it should be able to handle any object type not shipped with max; ie custom materials/maps/objects/particle-systems, etc.
                Yes, I appreciate the beauty of this approach is that it works for any max class. However I think at some stage, to realise this tools full potential, there will have to be some features that relate only to certain classes or superclasses.

As far as my feature request is concerned, the principle of dragging one object onto another to make the second an instance of the first could work for classes other than just materials. It's just an idea though.

Have you any idea when it will be ready for testing?
                Dan Brew

Comment

Originally posted by RockinAkin View Post
                  Looks very promising and incredibly useful! If I can make a feature request:

Would it be possible for you to incorporate some of the formulas from the DMC Calculator into your spreadsheet so that users could at a glance see the actual number of min / max samples a Material / Light / GI will be making based on what the Image Sampler (AA) and local Subdivs is set to?

So for example in your last screenshot, there would be two more columns to the right named something like Current Max Samples and Current Min Samples that show you how many actual samples will be taken based on your scene settings.

Possible / Good idea?
                  This would be great

Comment

Originally posted by DanielBrew View Post
                    Yes, I appreciate the beauty of this approach is that it works for any max class. However I think at some stage, to realise this tools full potential, there will have to be some features that relate only to certain classes or superclasses.

As far as my feature request is concerned, the principle of dragging one object onto another to make the second an instance of the first could work for classes other than just materials. It's just an idea though.

Have you any idea when it will be ready for testing?
                    It's likely to be a month or so till it's ready for testing.

I already have context menu based copy-pasting (instance and non-instance), but for sure, middle-click drag and drop parameter pasting was already in my todo list.
                    Many Thanks
                    Patrick

Comment

I have ur asset manager, Great app however I'm still waiting for Maya version. Also you should consider making sure you can Key frames using the new app.
                      CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

Hi Darius,
                        Do you mean my material lister? I haven't developed any asset managers before.
                        I do intend to handle keys and controllers at some point.
                        p.
                        Many Thanks
                        Patrick

Comment

uuuuuuuu eee I might have confused u with some1 else then :X
                          CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

I uploaded a short video showing some of the basic features of the script. It's rough, but should serve to illustrate the basics.
                            https://vimeo.com/84543612
                            Many Thanks
                            Patrick

Comment

Thank for the update Patrick, the video gives a much clearer idea of how it works. I can see a lot potential for managing large scenes.
                              Dan Brew

Comment

Working...
                              X