Fluffy towels material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluffy towels material

Anyone got any good techniques for creating a nice, fluffy towel? I can just about model a towel, but never been happy with my rendered results. Forever being asked to add 'fluffy' towels. Noise as a displacement? Vray fur? Max Hair/Fur?

Any tips you'd like to share with the forum?
    Kind Regards,
    Richard Birket
    ----------------------------------->
    http://www.blinkimage.com

yeah, very pixelly noise as a displace -even a filter > Noise > monochromatic in photoshop. It's all about breaking the silhouette of the shading and adding in all of the small up and down bits. It's like a rough object, just at a scale of roughness where the details (bumps / threads) are visible so you've gotta actually displace your geometry. Another cloth thing is to use a falloff so you have a lighter version of your diffuse colour or diffuse texture at the edges to try and simulate the bit of back scattering you get at the edges of cloth.

Comment

Originally posted by joconnell View Post
      yeah, very pixelly noise as a displace -even a filter > Noise > monochromatic in photoshop. It's all about breaking the silhouette of the shading and adding in all of the small up and down bits. It's like a rough object, just at a scale of roughness where the details (bumps / threads) are visible so you've gotta actually displace your geometry. Another cloth thing is to use a falloff so you have a lighter version of your diffuse colour or diffuse texture at the edges to try and simulate the bit of back scattering you get at the edges of cloth.
      Falloff is a good idea. I'm trying with this texture I've just created (this is just a 1200px version of the 3k pixel I am using). You reckon this is a good starting point?

Click image for larger version

Name:	towel noise.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	457.9 KB
ID:	853824
      Kind Regards,
      Richard Birket

Comment

Yep! It'll appear as small random dimples, should be totally fine.

Comment

Some ideas here may be of help:

http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_educat...rpet_grass.htm

- Neil

Comment

having a good base model is very important - you cant displace the thickness. if it doesn't look close with no displacement it probably wont look right with it either.

Comment

Originally posted by Neilg View Post
              having a good base model is very important - you cant displace the thickness. if it doesn't look close with no displacement it probably wont look right with it either.
              Yeah - my skill is mainly with architectural (i.e. 'square'!) modelling. Anything organic and my mind gets confused! So far, for a towel, I have simply drawn a 3-vertex spline and then extruded it with 40 or 50 segments in the extrusion. Then I have used a cloth modifier to 'drape' it over a bath. Once I am *happy* (I never am) with the drape, I collapse, shell and turbosmooth the result.

Its 'OK' but I think I have a lot to learn.
              Attached Files
              Kind Regards,
              Richard Birket

Comment

Originally posted by soulburn3d View Post
                Some ideas here may be of help:

http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_educat...rpet_grass.htm

- Neil
                Awesome stuff Neil
                Kind Regards,
                Morne

Comment

I just recently did a visual for the new bullet train in Japan - an interior showing the seating of the cars. It is not a towel but it had to look soft and cozy (like the original seating) and I used Vray Fur for this. Maybe the technique is some help for you.

So the seat was of course modeled, then I put a velvet material on it and on top of that the fur. I used this texture for the seat itself but also to direct vray fur to create the fur mostly on these ridges.

Name:	Seat_texture.jpg
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	853838
                  So we have a slightly visible pattern of the fur, like it would be really woven or produced.
                  For the fur I used the Vray Hair Material, which needs at least one GI pass to look really nice and shiny.

Here is a crop of the result:

Name:	Seat.jpeg
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	853839

Shadows might be a little harsh, so we brightened the whole seat in Photoshop to make it look even more soft.
                  of couse the fur is very short in this case, but I am sure it would look beautiful in a longer version as a towe!

The Vray Fur render times are not too bad if you decrease the sides and knots. Maybe not so great for really detailed towel-shots

If you need any further info about the settings, material and stuff, I can take some screens of them.

Cheers

Manuel
                  Add Your Light LogoCheck out my tutorials, assets, free samples and weekly newsletter:
                  www.AddYourLight.com
                  Always looking to learn, become better and serve better.

Comment

Originally posted by MANUEL_MOUSIOL View Post
                    If you need any further info about the settings, material and stuff, I can take some screens of them.
                    Looks cool, would be interested in some more info on this

Comment

I am kind of in a hurry, so just quickly a screenshot of the fur setup.

Name:	So-fluffy-I-wanna-die.JPG
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	853850
                      I am attaching the materials I used.
                      The only map I used is the one I posted, I think. That is also linked with the fur. What is of course important is a nice velvet look and for that you will need a nice falloff map alongside the material settings.

Name:	velvet falloff.JPG
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	853849

let me know what you think!
                      Attached Files
                      Add Your Light LogoCheck out my tutorials, assets, free samples and weekly newsletter:
                      www.AddYourLight.com
                      Always looking to learn, become better and serve better.

Comment

Working...
                      X