No announcement yet.

More horsepower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That looks sweet! You are missing powersupply though? Also overclocked HDD kinda concerns me a bit Whats the total cost on something like that?
    Dmitry Vinnik
    Silhouette Images Inc.
    ShowReel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

That one is pretty close to what I'm running and the MB is a nice one, this should be pretty fast as far as rendering goes at the factory speed and or over clocked.

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
      How is this looking?

• CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-5960X Extreme Edition Eight-Core 3.00GHz 20MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011-V3
      • HDD: 240GB Intel 730 Series Overclocked SATA-III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 550 MB/s Read & 270MB/s Write (Single Drive)
      • MEMORY: 32GB (8GBx4) DDR4/2400MHz Quad Channel Memory [+268] (Corsair or Major Brand)
      • MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X99-A ATX W/ Intel GbE LAN, 4x Gen3 PCIe x16, 2x PCIe x1, 1x M.2, 8x SATA 6Gb/s
      • SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
      • VIDEO: None or Integrated Graphics [-470] (I have one to use)
      Cheers,
      -dave
      ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

That was also overclocked 30%, so it'll run faster then the 3GHz. It's about $2000 cheaper than the BOXX, however the BOXX I was looking at said that it was 4.0GHz, but I am not sure if that is before or after overclocking.
        Bobby Parker
        www.bobby-parker.com
        e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
        phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
        • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
        • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
        • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I think the BOXX slave could be OC'd, but in any event if I wasnt building my own workstations and slaves my first choice would be BOXX due to excellent hardware and almost Chaosgroup level support.

That was also overclocked 30%, so it'll run faster then the 3GHz. It's about $2000 cheaper than the BOXX, however the BOXX I was looking at said that it was 4.0GHz, but I am not sure if that is before or after overclocking.
          Cheers,
          -dave
          ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

This one is $2934 and I was wrong, it's 20% overclocked.
            Originally posted by Syclone1 View Post
            That one is pretty close to what I'm running and the MB is a nice one, this should be pretty fast as far as rendering goes at the factory speed and or over clocked.
            Bobby Parker
            www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
            • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

The BOXX

APEXX 2 3402
              Intel i7 Eight Core Enhanced Performance Processor 4.125 Ghz
              32GB DDR4-2133 (4 - 8GB DIMMS)
              20X Dual Layer DVD±RW Writer
              240GB SSD SATA 6Gb/s
              Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Edition 64-Bit
              USB Keyboard
              Logitech M500 Laser Corded Mouse
              3 Year Standard Warranty
              Originally posted by Syclone1 View Post
              I think the BOXX slave could be OC'd, but in any event if I wasnt building my own workstations and slaves my first choice would be BOXX due to excellent hardware and almost Chaosgroup level support.
              Last edited by glorybound; 13-05-2015, 11:10 AM.
              Bobby Parker
              www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
              • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

The BOXX mentioned is $4800
                Bobby Parker
                www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

for that price you can buy two regulars
                  Dmitry Vinnik
                  Silhouette Images Inc.
                  ShowReel:
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
                  https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Yes, unless I am missing somthing
                    Originally posted by Morbid Angel View Post
                    for that price you can buy two regulars
                    Bobby Parker
                    www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

The BOXX mentioned is $4800
                      LOL wow, this is why I build my own. My newest machine was around $3000 but thats with the 980GTX that was about $800. Ive had thoughts of building another identical one as another slave and should only be around $2000 all in.
                      Cheers,
                      -dave

Comment

Again, I haven't built a PC in a decade, so I am not up on all the technology. The BOXX might be well worth it. Maybe, the RAM and/or CPU is simply better, I don't know. My fear is over paying. I think generally the BOXX is marked up at least 30%, but does that make it better? I try to purchase things that make me money. It can be ugly, without a brand logo, as long as it works good. However, my fear is also spending a lot for a machine that isn't any faster than the budget $1,600 machine (Dual XEON, 32GB Ram, NVIDIA 970 GTX) I have been using.
                        Last edited by glorybound; 13-05-2015, 12:14 PM.
                        Bobby Parker
                        www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

This thread might give you a rough idea as well on how the different flavors of i7 and Xeon's perform.

http://forums.chaosgroup.com/showthr...INTERIOR-SCENE
                          Cheers,
                          -dave

Comment

Boxes are very nice. I used to buy them. But their prices are very high.

I got the unit below from CyberPower about 6 weeks ago. It might be cheaper now.
                            If you get this system upgrade the fans on the cooler to Noctua SSO Bearing Fan Cooling NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM. They are much quieter and more efficient. If you're using it as a render node you could skip the video card and save some money.
                            I've been running this at 4.2 Ghz. In the winter when my house is 68f here in Michigan I run it at 4.4Ghz. Their stock OC is real solid. I think it came in around 3.8 Ghz.

CyberPower system
                            CAS: Corsair Obsidian 750D w/ USB 3.0, Full Side Panel Window [+35]

CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-5960X Extreme Edition Eight-Core 3.00GHz 20MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011-V3 [+674]

CS_FAN: Default case fans

FAN: Corsair Hydro H110 280mm Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ Copper Cold Plate - Extreme Performance [+83] (2 x
                            Standard 140MM Fans)

HDD: 512GB ADATA SP900 Series SATA-III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 555MB/s Read & 535MB/s Write [+162] (Single Drive)

MEMORY: 32GB (8GBx4) DDR4/2400MHz Quad Channel Memory [+330] (Corsair Vengeance)

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X99-A ATX W/ Intel GbE LAN, 4x Gen3 PCIe x16, 2x PCIe x1, 1x M.2, 8x SATA 6Gb/s [-5]

NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network

OVERCLOCK: Extreme OC (Extreme Overclock 20% or more) [+49]

POWERSUPPLY: 1,000 Watts - Corsair RM1000 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Fully Modular Ultra Quiet Power Supply [+81]

SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR [3 Year Labor, 1 Year Parts] LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME
                            TECHNICAL SUPPORT

VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 (Maxwell) (Single Card)

_PRICE: $2883.25 after discounts

Comment

Here's a link to the base unit I started with
                              https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/...er_Black_Pearl

They have $140 off with free shipping which should be applied at the end of the process.

Comment

Originally posted by arobbert View Post
                                Boxes are very nice. I used to buy them. But their prices are very high. I got the unit below from CyberPower about 6 weeks ago. It might be cheaper now. If you get this system upgrade the fans on the cooler to Noctua SSO Bearing Fan Cooling NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM. They are much quieter and more efficient. If you're using it as a render node you could skip the video card and save some money. I've been running this at 4.2 Ghz. In the winter when my house is 68f here in Michigan I run it at 4.4Ghz. Their stock OC is real solid. I think it came in around 3.8 Ghz. CyberPower system CAS: Corsair Obsidian 750D w/ USB 3.0, Full Side Panel Window [+35] CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR) CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-5960X Extreme Edition Eight-Core 3.00GHz 20MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011-V3 [+674] CS_FAN: Default case fans FAN: Corsair Hydro H110 280mm Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ Copper Cold Plate - Extreme Performance [+83] (2 x Standard 140MM Fans) HDD: 512GB ADATA SP900 Series SATA-III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 555MB/s Read & 535MB/s Write [+162] (Single Drive) MEMORY: 32GB (8GBx4) DDR4/2400MHz Quad Channel Memory [+330] (Corsair Vengeance) MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X99-A ATX W/ Intel GbE LAN, 4x Gen3 PCIe x16, 2x PCIe x1, 1x M.2, 8x SATA 6Gb/s [-5] NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network OS: Windows 7 Professional [+31] (64-bit Edition) OVERCLOCK: Extreme OC (Extreme Overclock 20% or more) [+49] POWERSUPPLY: 1,000 Watts - Corsair RM1000 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Fully Modular Ultra Quiet Power Supply [+81] SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR [3 Year Labor, 1 Year Parts] LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 (Maxwell) (Single Card) _PRICE: $2883.25 after discounts
                                awesome! I think I just found my next computer
                                Bobby Parker
                                www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                                • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Working...