No announcement yet.

Promise of more work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it helps to understand that when dealing with any AEC work, the people requesting work often do work for FREE themselves in the hopes of getting work from the free work. it is an unfortunate industry standard. It is so standard that Developers expect it. So as 3d artists, we are on the receiving end of this "Do it for free mentality."
    When I worked for one architect, I sat in a meeting where he told the developer that "Our guys love doing this stuff for free. No problem. We'll have something for you in a few days." He then expected me to do it for free on my own time. I refused. He ended up doing it for free on his own time. No negative repercussions to me.
    mh

Comment

yeah the vfx industry is also bad for shit like this. Often studios will make people work overtime without paying it, or pay it unfairly. For example try to negotiate your day rate but then make you work lots of OT, so therefore making your day rate less in effect.

Places like that I just run from.
      Dmitry Vinnik
      Silhouette Images Inc.
      ShowReel:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
      https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Sure... you will take that into consideration when drafting your proposal if they agree to put you on retainer for future work. Otherwise it is an empty promise.

Comment

I gave him a price and said that I could start as soon as the middle of next week and would need two week to complete it, but would probably complete it sooner. He ended up replying saying that he needed it by Friday. Where do these people come from?
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com
          e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
          phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
          • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
          • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

You mean tomorrow? hahahaaha
            Dmitry Vinnik
            Silhouette Images Inc.
            ShowReel:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
            https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Yes, tomorrow.
              Originally posted by Morbid Angel View Post
              You mean tomorrow? hahahaaha
              Bobby Parker
              www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
              • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
                I gave him a price and said that I could start as soon as the middle of next week and would need two week to complete it, but would probably complete it sooner. He ended up replying saying that he needed it by Friday. Where do these people come from?
                It's not a question where they come from, because basically they're all over the place. The question is, how the hell do these guys even have a job/carreer because they're clearly mentally ill.
                A.

---------------------
                www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

most of these people have marketing background.
                  its the fault of the universities and schools that educate these people.
                  most of the time they have no clue about simple things such as DPI, timescales etc.
                  crazy times
                  Martin
                  http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

They assume everyone is desperate for work and try to use that to their advantage. These people generally have very little respect for what CG artists do ime

Comment

Originally posted by AlexP View Post
                      They assume everyone is desperate for work and try to use that to their advantage. These people generally have very little respect for what CG artists do ime
                      That goes for everyone, everywhere. They assume because it's made on a computer, the computer takes care of it for us. We need some kind of organization like doctors, lawyers, dentists, architects,... that protects our interests.
                      A.

---------------------
                      www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

yeah they think we have a special button assigned to "make interior"
                        Martin
                        http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

Originally posted by Vizioen View Post
                          That goes for everyone, everywhere. They assume because it's made on a computer, the computer takes care of it for us. We need some kind of organization like doctors, lawyers, dentists, architects,... that protects our interests.
                          We need to save us from ourselves.

Comment

I'll bet you the deadline isn't tomorrow, but that's what the client said, which is in fact probably next week some time. That's the second lame crap some people due, which is give some fictitious deadline to rush the process. The person who takes the job will work their ass off to meet the fictitious deadline and start getting feedback next week, in perpetration for the real deadline.
                            Bobby Parker
                            www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                            • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by AlexP View Post
                              You think this is the only industry this happens in? construction, any trade, anything corporate, service or account based. happens in independent financial services too. we're not unique.
                              e: my friend works in a blood & testing lab and they get this constantly too, companies asking for trial periods at a discounted rate before completely switching over to them.

We get this every other job. it's just people who are in charge of spending on things trying to get more for their money. human nature. we say we don't do that as a blanket rule (we have, but only on 30+ image account jobs) and thats it.
                              Last edited by Neilg; 30-10-2015, 01:07 PM.

Comment

I know that I don't say it, so I can't image that it is a sincere statement; it's used car sales talk.
                                Bobby Parker
                                www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                                • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X