Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer shader settings with different names to another

Hi all

I have my shaders all setup like I want etc and saved in my material library.

When I import geometry from 3rd parties, it typically has standard shaders with weird names. I need to keep those weird name for when I re-import geometry to keep the assignment of materials.

If for example I have a standard material in my scene called "thisGlassobject", and I already a VRay Material "perfectGlass", how can I transfer/copy/replace the content of "thisGlassobject" with that of "perfectGlass"? Note I only need to keep the name "thisGlassobject". I don't want to assign my material and then rename it, because "thisGlassobject" may be used in various places in the scene including in subobjects etc.
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

wouldn't be easier to change the name the other way around in different library and "update material from library" ?
    show me the money!!

Comment

But then I constantly have to rename things in my library for each job
      Kind Regards,
      Morne

Comment

I have to deal with same the same issues all the time but it's part of importing stuffs from another application....I have my materials and I have libraries per project, rename them and save them is not a big deal comparing to re-importing geometry and re assign materials again...a custom library with 1 click update material works for me.
        show me the money!!

Comment

I don't need to re-apply anything
          I just want to replace the crappy materials imported the 1st time with better stuff. Next time you import you just use scene materials so it keeps the good stuff. No need to re-apply materials.
          There must be a script for this!
          Kind Regards,
          Morne

Comment

Are the names always the same (of the crappy material names) from project to project?
            Alain Blanchette
            www.pixistudio.com

Comment

Originally posted by thablanch View Post
              Are the names always the same (of the crappy material names) from project to project?
              No because the files are from different sources and it depends on the user on that day what they want to call stuff (don't know how they manage that)
              Kind Regards,
              Morne

Comment

Working...
              X