Easy Slice / Cut windows Script?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easy Slice / Cut windows Script?

So I'm wondering if there's an easy way to do the following. I made a little video to make myself a little more clear.

https://youtu.be/04nH-c1zMcs

I'm aware I can connect edges multiple times and then move them. For this example that would have been easier than using the slice modifier but that's beside the point, because sometimes the geometry (wall) isn't a rectangle and then your quads aren't rectangular anymore etc... Besides if this could be scripted it would be faster in any way.

The boxes you can see, which I use for guides, are basically my basic windows. These are being replaced afterwards or modelled starting from the box. Is there a way or a script that takes the bounding box vertices or width/height of some geometry/elements and puts the pivot of the slice modifier to these points as I'm doing manually in the video? Or some other faster, automatic way (besides boolean)
    Last edited by Vizioen; 18-05-2016, 06:41 AM.
    A.

---------------------
    www.digitaltwins.be

Have you tried using QuickSlice in the Edit Geometry panel? I use it all the time to accomplish the same result as your video.

Comment

Haven't found a way to make an orthogonal cut with quickslice, nor found a way to make swiftloop snap to something. But all in all I'm tired of the manual labor. If I positioned my windows with these blocks the work should be done, like a boolean, but then in a nice way with slice planes
      A.

---------------------
      www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

I use basically the same process as you. I have a wall object and then have boxes as guides. Then when using QuickSlice, I just snap to the end points of the boxes. So everything is perfectly orthagonal.

Comment

Isn't that what poly-modeling is all about. I pick edges, connect, and delete the window opening.
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com
          e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
          phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
          • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
          • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I made a quickie video using QuickSlice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRd-CpWzWGU

Comment

Originally posted by PixelJockey View Post
              I made a quickie video using QuickSlice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRd-CpWzWGU
              Holy sh*t, haha I feel stupid. Never got that to work, now I know how. In my case I don't always see that cut immediately until I move my view a bit.
              Although you still need to do it manually, this is faster than I how I did it. Thanks for that.

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
              Isn't that what poly-modeling is all about. I pick edges, connect, and delete the window opening.
              Sure but if one can do it faster, why not
              A.

---------------------
              www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Itoo has a script, it was mentioned in the latest windows tutorial. Might be worth checking out.

Comment

Originally posted by dean_dmoo View Post
                  Itoo has a script, it was mentioned in the latest windows tutorial. Might be worth checking out.
                  I know, and I use it to build my railclone objects, but it's not usable for the reason I would need it.
                  A.

---------------------
                  www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Working...
                  X