Random stones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random stones

Does anyone have good techniques, or perhaps some tools that I haven't heard of, that can generate random stone paving? See the attached image.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	TexturesCom_BrickJapanese0071_1_M.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	443.2 KB
ID:	884803

My problem is that I need to make this sort of thing look good from ANY distance. If I make it look good for a closeup view, you'll see tiling when the camera pulls way back, if I make it look good from a distance, it'll look crappy and pixelated closeup. I've actually had some success getting creative with Bercon Voronoi noise, but that's really only good for medium distance.

I do a lot of archaeology-related work, and archaeologists want to examine every damn aspect of a model. So I'll do a fly-through video of an ancient palace and forget about it, then a year or two later I'll get a request for views of the model that I didn't build for. It's incredibly annoying.

Archaeology projects never die, they just lose funding for a few years.
    - Geoff

Omnitile might work for you.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
      Omnitile might work for you.
      Yep, or model a few stones and use Forest Pack / Railclone.

Comment

ForestPack can distribute and pack randomly shaped stones without penetration?
        Looking at the Omnitile page just gave me an idea of a way that I might be able to do it without buying anything.
        - Geoff

Comment

That, or Substance Designer for a fully procedural approach, might give you more work but alot more control over the look of it.

Comment

Looks like Onmitile is my best bet. Playing with the demo now. I do have Substance Designer. I haven't really had a chance to learn it yet, but I'm pretty sure it's output is bitmap-based, and can't make procedurally generated, non-tiling stones for Max.
            - Geoff

Comment

Would love to see it when you are done.
              Bobby Parker
              www.bobby-parker.com
              e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
              phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
              • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
              • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
              • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
              • ​Windows 11 Pro