No announcement yet.

Grabbing large res maps from google

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember trying that software out and having the same issue. The google maps coordinates didn't match the plugin...
    James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
    Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

Originally posted by Sbrusse View Post
      I dont understad how any of those two soft works

With nonimap, it's a *.jar or *.jnlp extention and I don't know what to do with them.
      With Terra Incognita, I can navigate and select a region, but how do I tell him to download in HQ ? Every-time I crop and save to whatever filetype, I have a small jpg the same size as what I have on the screen.

Cheers
      Stan
      i used noni map, it asked me to just instal java, then it ran, just opened it up and followed instructions after, used it for maybe 30 mins n i got what i needed
      Architectural and Product Visualization at MITVIZ
      http://www.mitviz.com/
      http://mitviz.blogspot.com/
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/shawnmitford/

i7 5960@4 GHZm, 64 gigs Ram, Geforce gtx 970, Geforce RTX 2080 ti x2

Comment

Heum, any ideas why when I try to enter the coordinated from Sydney Australia I get only water?

Thanks
        Did you buy it or use the demo? You can Download a trial version of the plugin Here, its functionality has been limited to a region covered by 4 DEM tiles around Mt Etna on Sicily. If you tried the demo version and got no height data please download again as that has been fixed.
        A.

---------------------
        www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Yes I used the demo

Well, then I can't see if this is any relevant to what I need as I don't know how it looks in the area of the globe that my project are from.
          I don't really want to spend 200$ to see that the area around Sydney is crap and I can't use it :/
          Last edited by Sbrusse; 05-07-2016, 11:18 AM.
          Stan

Comment

I've never had an issue with coordinates - you cant type in the google coordinates directly but it does display what you are typing as the google coordinate underneath. max cant round to 60, it switches it to base 10 so it needs a little trial and error.

What are the coordinates you were trying to look at?

If you're trying to grab the heights of the land, unless you are looking at 10km+ distances then it is crap. just use it for ground textures.
            Last edited by Neilg; 05-07-2016, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Neilg View Post
              just use it for ground textures.
              Then just use Nonimapviewer... it's free...

Comment

Take a look at maproom : http://www.klaasnienhuis.nl/2016/01/...-beta-started/
                Tried it a few months ago and it is very promising. Keep in mind though that the beta version was is limited in resolution (or number of tiles).

mekene

Comment

Originally posted by Pixelcon View Post
                  Then just use Nonimapviewer... it's free...
                  Agreed

I just can't find a way to save maps that are more than 16384px
                  Jpeg should handle up to 30k (and I already did some in PS) any ideas how to push nonimapviewer to more than 16384px?

What "save to" do you use?
                  Stan

Comment

i see i made a mistake with the res i captured, it was actually 12758, what i did was capture a few and photoshoped them together which should give you what you need easily
                    Architectural and Product Visualization at MITVIZ
                    http://www.mitviz.com/
                    http://mitviz.blogspot.com/
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/shawnmitford/

i7 5960@4 GHZm, 64 gigs Ram, Geforce gtx 970, Geforce RTX 2080 ti x2

Comment

Agreed

I just can't find a way to save maps that are more than 16384px
                      Jpeg should handle up to 30k (and I already did some in PS) any ideas how to push nonimapviewer to more than 16384px?

What "save to" do you use?
                      You have to split it up into tiles. Noni will spit out x1 x2 x3 y1 y2 y3 etc. named tiles which you will have to reassemble in PS.

Comment

Originally posted by Pixelcon View Post
                        You have to split it up into tiles. Noni will spit out x1 x2 x3 y1 y2 y3 etc. named tiles which you will have to reassemble in PS.
                        Is it me, or is the google satellite option broken, the window just stays black. Sometimes the standard thing stays black too if you zoom too fast or something.
                        Last edited by Vizioen; 06-07-2016, 06:36 AM.
                        A.

---------------------
                        www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Originally posted by Vizioen View Post
                          Is it me, or is the google satellite option broken, the window just stays black. Sometimes the standard thing stays black too if you zoom too fast or something.
                          It takes quite a while to load the maps, and sometimes it's down ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by theedge View Post
                            Take a look at maproom : http://www.klaasnienhuis.nl/2016/01/...-beta-started/
                            Tried it a few months ago and it is very promising. Keep in mind though that the beta version was is limited in resolution (or number of tiles).
                            Hi, I'm the developer of maproom. Once you've requested a free beta license you can get 4k maps (that's 1024 map tiles stitched together). It's pretty easy to line up a couple of those to get as big a map as you need. Keep in mind though that every map provider requires some sort of attribution. Maproom doesn't support google maps, as its API doesn't allow for this type of usage. It does support bing and mapbox though which are great.
                            The height data (also used by the west-racing plugin I think) is SRTM3 which is around 90 meters per pixel. Like mentioned before, this is not very detailed. SRTM1 is coming to maproom later, which is 30 meters per pixel. I think it's hard to find height datasets with a better resolution AND global coverage.
                            Klaas Nienhuis
                            Projects of the third kind
                            twitter linkedin

Comment

Originally posted by Klaas Nienhuis View Post
                              Hi, I'm the developer of maproom. Once you've requested a free beta license you can get 4k maps (that's 1024 map tiles stitched together). It's pretty easy to line up a couple of those to get as big a map as you need. Keep in mind though that every map provider requires some sort of attribution. Maproom doesn't support google maps, as its API doesn't allow for this type of usage. It does support bing and mapbox though which are great.
                              The height data (also used by the west-racing plugin I think) is SRTM3 which is around 90 meters per pixel. Like mentioned before, this is not very detailed. SRTM1 is coming to maproom later, which is 30 meters per pixel. I think it's hard to find height datasets with a better resolution AND global coverage.
                              I think your product will become something really special as it matures. Love it so far but having to get these API keys from the providers is a small pain the bum Keep up the great work!

Comment

Working...
                              X