Fstorm render

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mitviz View Post
    Hopefully they make it in court, its nice software to use.
    Mr. Kozlov said he just used indirectly some of his own ideas that were in the 3ds max plugin (that he did himself alone for Otoy when he was working there). So if it is really indirect he should be ok. One of the evidence he showed probably supplied by Otoy is circling the render button and the motion blur duration setting... which are common to all renderers. Very smelly law suit!! In that case chaosgroup could also sue Otoy I'm pretty sure they used the render button and motion blur duration before Otoy.

Otoy should focus on their own development instead of suing someone like that.

Anyway, all of this is always just profiting the lawyers. If they really wanted to remove some code from fstorm max plugin they could have done it outside of court. It just seems like they want to destroy fstorm.

But we'll see when more details emerge.

Explosion & smoke I did with PhoenixFD
    Little Antman
    See Iron Baby and other of my models on Turbosquid!
    Some RnD involving PhoenixFD

Comment

• Originally posted by Sbrusse View Post
      I don't understand what all the hype is about tonemapping and LUTs and glare
      Just because they are the most noticable difference between those 2 renderers. Maybe we can do some in V-Ray too but they should be make more known (LUT) or accessible (real time LUT switching) or improved (glare).

where can we get that Lele's LUT switcher tool? Sounds interesting!

Little Antman

Comment

• Ok just found the V-Ray LUTs Explorer! cool thanks to Lele!

http://forums.chaosgroup.com/showthr...ghlight=lut%2A

Little Antman

Comment

• Ok, so what's the status with this ?
          Is there any good ideas to take from Fstorm or other render engines(i.e. Octane) and implement it in Vray ?
          I do, personally, think as well that Vray needs an enhanced tonemapping.
          I've been raised this point to developers, but I haven't got an answer whether this will be something to be looked at or not.

Now, I know that vray offers a lot of flexibility when it comes to tonemapping: you can do with curves whatever custom tonemapping you want. But, the problem with curves is that, manually, you cannot achieve any accurate realistic behaviour. You just have to guess things around.

To get a natural / realistic tonemapping, you would have to set your colour mapping type as Reinhard, but then that would be embedded into the image - which I don't want since I need the 32 bit linear render for post.
          So, I need to have the Reinhard applied on top of my linear render but as an LUT that I can adjust and that I can save as a file to be imported afterwards in post.

In simple words, I would like to set my colour mapping type as Linear multiply, but then have the Reinhard as a Correction Control in the VFB where I would adjust the burn value, then save that as a .cube file(or whatever). This is the most important aspect for me.
          And a more advanced color mapping would be the Filmic tonemapping(implemented the same way as described above) which I've been banging on about for quite some time
          Last edited by peteristrate; 11-08-2016, 07:31 PM.
          CGI studio: www.moxels.com

i7-4930K @ 3,4GHz watercooled
          Asus Rampage V Extreme Black Edition Intel X79
          64 GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Jet Black 1866 MHz Quad Channel
          8 * GTX Titan X
          960GB SSD Crucial M500 SATA-3
          nVidia drivers: always latest
          Windows 10 up to date

Comment

• photoshop, nuke or fusion?
            there is a reinhard node in fusion thats good

Comment

• Honestly what to take of it is that well fstorm is really nice to use and the tonnemapping saves alot of post processing work, i have been testing it and getting really nice images without the need for any photoshop at all. It has also made me look more into gpu rendering, so far i have not been able to get good performance from vray rt but with my crappy card its working better with fstorm, idk why it just is, but as for gpu rendering, i just like the fact that graphics cards are nicely priced these days and getting more affordable and powerful and i can simply buy a new card and stick it in and have double, tripple or in my case 5 times the power of one card without the need for a new pc and expensive costs. before i was stuck with just using the cpu rendering and not paying any much attention to gpu rendering but i am now looking to get a few 1080 and soon the ti versions when they drop for use with gpu rendering with vray and fstorm. Here are two images i recently worked on in my spare time as practice, only chromatic aberation was added in photoshop and an lut was use in fstorm and at 20 percent strength which is nice to be able to blend in the lut with the original image which we need in vray. All these engines are powerful even the young fstorm but it misses alot of features but its very usable at the moment and i think as time goes by all these engines will end up on the same level one day. So for the near future Vray is stil king but new kids on the block have fresh blood and have been getting alot of attention
              Attached Files
              Architectural and Product Visualization at MITVIZ
              http://www.mitviz.com/
              http://mitviz.blogspot.com/
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/shawnmitford/

i7 5960@4 GHZm, 64 gigs Ram, Geforce gtx 970, Geforce RTX 2080 ti x2

Comment

• Originally posted by peteristrate View Post
                Filmic tonemapping(implemented the same way as described above) which I've been banging on about for quite some time
                Hear hear
                A.

---------------------
                www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

• Originally posted by peteristrate View Post
                  In simple words, I would like to set my colour mapping type as Linear multiply, but then have the Reinhard as a Correction Control in the VFB where I would adjust the burn value, then save that as a .cube file(or whatever). This is the most important aspect for me.
                  But you can already do that!? What else do you want? There are already exposure and burn values in the VFB and you can save a .cube file out in the latest two SPs.

And a more advanced color mapping would be the Filmic tonemapping(implemented the same way as described above) which I've been banging on about for quite some time
                  Which of the three or four different flavors of filmic tone mapping do you have in mind?

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  Last edited by vlado; 12-08-2016, 01:47 AM.
                  I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

• Originally posted by mitviz View Post
                    All these engines are powerful even the young fstorm but it misses alot of features but its very usable at the moment and i think as time goes by all these engines will end up on the same level one day.
                    And trust me, when that day comes, you will be complaining how complicated they've become and how the new kids on the block are so much better

Best regards,
                    Vlado
                    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

• Originally posted by vlado View Post
                      And trust me, when that day comes, you will be complaining how complicated they've become and how the new kids on the block are so much better
                      Quoted for agreement

Comment

• Originally posted by vlado View Post

Best regards,
                        Vlado
                        i agree, am human, can't be satisfied look for the fun it in vlado, creating something from nothing, implementing all the new features etc should be alot of fun man
                        Last edited by mitviz; 12-08-2016, 02:12 AM.

Comment

• For me it's all about the lens effect.
                          When I compared linear for linear between FStorm and Vray I couldn't see a big difference (there is, mainly on the reflective GI) but other than that, not so much.
                          BUT
                          When comparing not linear renders, FStorm stands out with the lens effect it applies, having a pretty and real time bloom/glare and flares is a great addition.
                          It could be pushed even further IMO like having presets of lenses that would be created based on real world lenses.

Some will say we can do that all in post, but if so, I'd like to know how we can do a easy 1 click solution that works and looks as good than FStorm in AE for animations.

Stan
                          Stan

Comment

• MagicBullet had some good filters, but I don't think many people used them. There are PS actions that can do this, but again, we don't use them. Sometimes we fall into the pattern of wanting things that we really don't need. We are like kids that want the latest game. Life would be so good if we had just one more thing, but in actuality, we'll never be happy chasing that.
                            Bobby Parker
                            www.bobby-parker.com
                            e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
                            phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
                            • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                            • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
                            • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
                            • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

• Originally posted by glorybound View Post
                              MagicBullet had some good filters, but I don't think many people used them. There are PS actions that can do this, but again, we don't use them. Sometimes we fall into the pattern of wanting things that we really don't need. We are like kids that want the latest game. Life would be so good if we had just one more thing, but in actuality, we'll never be happy chasing that.
                              i agree 100 percent, when will i learn to be content, idk

Comment

• I have tried converting my last coupe project to FStorm, but I never got it to work. I am sure it something that I am missing, but who has the time?
                                Bobby Parker
                                www.bobby-parker.com
                                e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
                                phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
                                • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                                • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
                                • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
                                • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X