Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cubic stereo renders and feeling like a giant!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cubic stereo renders and feeling like a giant!

Any ideas how to stop viewers feeling like a giant when using the GearVR and stereo cubic 6x1 renders in the 360 Photos App?

I'm guessing it is very user specific and to do with perception of your own height, in which case, what looks right for me (at 6'5") will look very wrong for my colleagues (a more 'normal' 6'). Only other thing I could think of is the FOV, but there are no controls over that AFAIK as we just plug a 360-degree image into the GearVR app (the FOV of the camera in 3dsmax has no bearing on a cubic render does it?).

Any tips/suggestions on this, or is this where 'true' VR is far better than static panoramas?
    Kind Regards,
    Richard Birket
    ----------------------------------->
    http://www.blinkimage.com

it's all down to eye distance and height of the camera, there's nothing else to change. If you're putting all your cameras at 6'5 you have to realise that you're at the absolute top end of average heights. I imagine there are more people closer to 5'5 than there are 6'5 who are looking at it.
    we use 5'11 for camera height - seems to be a good mid ground for most of our clients.
    make sure people are standing up too - if you are sat down and look through a camera that's at eye eight, you will feel like a giant.

65mm is also a little high for eye distance - everyone in our office is between 62 and 64.
    Last edited by Neilg; 23-01-2017, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Neilg View Post
      it's all down to eye distance and height of the camera, there's nothing else to change. If you're putting all your cameras at 6'5 you have to realise that you're at the absolute top end of average heights. I imagine there are more people closer to 5'5 than there are 6'5 who are looking at it.
      we use 5'11 for camera height - seems to be a good mid ground for most of our clients.
      make sure people are standing up too - if you are sat down and look through a camera that's at eye eight, you will feel like a giant.

65mm is also a little high for eye distance - everyone in our office is between 62 and 64.
      Thanks Neil. Does eye distance make a noticeable effect then? I'll have to try. I think the whole 'giant phenomenon' is exaggerated with smaller spaces too where you are just closer to stuff.
      Kind Regards,
      Richard Birket

Comment

You also have to remember that your eye height isn't equal to how tall you are, our eyes are not at the top of our skulls. We do 5'6" in our scenes and most people feel comfortable around them, especially when placed near 3D people with heights ranging from 5"6" to 6'.

Comment

Originally posted by VelvetElvis View Post
          You also have to remember that your eye height isn't equal to how tall you are, our eyes are not at the top of our skulls. We do 5'6" in our scenes and most people feel comfortable around them, especially when placed near 3D people with heights ranging from 5"6" to 6'.
          I realise that. I didn't take account of my hair do either

(for your info, 170cm is my latest attempt where some people had issues)
          Kind Regards,
          Richard Birket

Comment

Originally posted by tricky View Post
            ours are 1675mm, that's about eye height for someone 5'11.

Eye distance is the best way to change the overall scale of a scene - for a laugh sometime you should set the eye distance to 6.5mm and sit the camera 170mm up off the corner of a table. and go the other way too if you've got any big exterior scenes. fun stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by tricky View Post
              I realise that. I didn't take account of my hair do either

That's still too tall. Check out Wikipedia for average male/female person height for different parts of the world. Remember then, you NEED EYE HEIGHT, not head height.
              Even though males are usually taller than females, good average EYE height for UK would be around 1600 with eye distance around 63mm
              Kind Regards,
              Morne

Comment

Originally posted by Morne View Post
                That's still too tall. Check out Wikipedia for average male/female person height for different parts of the world. Remember then, you NEED EYE HEIGHT, not head height.
                Even though males are usually taller than females, good average EYE height for UK would be around 1600 with eye distance around 63mm
                I'll try 1600mm for my next test (and see the world from an 'average' person's perspective! LOL)

A pity you need to re-render an 18k image to move the camera 100mm. Bring on lightfield rendering!
                Kind Regards,
                Richard Birket

Comment

Working...
                X