Archiving policy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archiving policy

I'm curious about the archiving strategy or policy others might employ. I like to remove projects form my system once they are done. Occasional, not often, they come back at a later date for revisions or etc. Sometimes even a few years later.

Currently I use the Max:Archive. I save the scene.zip file, whatever final render output file, like scene.exr, and also frame buffer history vrimage files. I burn those files, along with photoshop .psd and final .jpg, onto a dvd. since I'm a worrier I make a duplicate dvd and store that in a safe deposit box.

I also save any new texture maps, model/components and materials I may have created to various libraries I have on my system.

Seems like a lot of effort and sort of tedious and time consuming. Curious what others may do in this regard or if there is a "best practice"?
    mark f.
    openrangeimaging.com

Max 2023.3.4 | Vray 6 update 2 | Win 10

Core i7 6950 | GeForce RTX 2060 | 64 G RAM

I zip it and move it to my archive drive exactly like it is....I have a drive only for assets so inside every projects I have a MAP folder where I have all the custom maps that I used for that specific project..... if some textures I think I would use them again they go to my asset drive.
    if for any reason one of those projects come alive again I unzip it to the working drive and done....easier and faster because keeps everything with the same paths and organization.
    show me the money!!

Comment

thanks for your reply. that's essentially what I do except I burn to DVD and then make duplicate to store off site in safe deposit.

do you back up your archive drive to a cloud service in case your archive drive fails or is damaged by catastrophe?
      mark f.
      openrangeimaging.com

Max 2023.3.4 | Vray 6 update 2 | Win 10

Core i7 6950 | GeForce RTX 2060 | 64 G RAM

Comment

I don't burn anything in DVD....the last time I did that was like 10 years ago.....I use RAID (3 copies of everything) the third one I back up only archives twice a year.
        in case of a catastrophe probably somebody would find me dead right next to my computers and drives so I don't care about that.
        show me the money!!

Comment

Working...
        X