Vray for Unreal Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray for Unreal Engine

I just came across the slides from EUE2017.
    https://www.facebook.com/cgarchitect...78559248912450
    Let me first express my excitment.
    FUCK YEAHHHH !!! Thank You so much. This is so fantastic.
    Last edited by samuel_bubat; 12-06-2017, 02:13 AM.

Yeah, I saw that as well ... very very exciting indeed !!!
    Nicolas Caplat
    www.intangibles.fr

Comment

Somehow half of my previous post didn' t get through. How high is the chance that baking will be a feature ? from the slides it looks like it' s not supported at the moment. What esactly is the use at the moment ? Is it just a preview in the editor or will it also be included in a compiled project ? Can you render out frames like in traditional offline rendering ?
      Last edited by samuel_bubat; 12-06-2017, 02:36 AM.

Comment

I think it's rather early to answer most of these questions yet

However, can you tell me why you would want to be able to render animations out? It's certainly doable, I'm just wondering.

For the moment V-Ray is only available in the Unreal Editor - it is not included in the compiled project. But if it was, what would you use it for?

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

edit. this new forum sometimes just deletes most of my text after pressing post. So my beatifull wall of text is gone. I' coming back to this later.

next try.

I know it' s probabely to early for all of my questions I' m sorry . I didn't attend the presentation so I' m just trying to understand how the final result will look in the future. There are several ways I can image a raytracer interacting with a Game Engine. For example Otoy's Brigade claims! to bring realtime pathtracing for game engines. Traditionally raytracers are used for static light baking within an engine for a long time now. What will be the primaty purpose of Vray for Unreal ? It' s not that clear just from the slides.
          Regarding writing out frames. There is one point in the presentation that says. "Or generally just looking to use the realtime editor as a DCC. Complete replacement for 3dsmax or Maya workflows". That made me think it might be able to render out frames like traditional offline rendering. Btw. Artur Leao wrote a tool to render out frames from Unity.
          http://www.ycdivfx.com/product/offli...der-for-unity/ It might get interesting at some point.

Anyway I' m really looking forward to it. We currently use Vray to pre-bake many objects where Lightmass fails. It fails pretty often btw. I mean for a game Engine Baking solution it' s ok. But compared to a modern renderer it lacks so many features, optimisations and speed. The Distributed rendering is terrible just like the memory managment. Thinking of having Vray inside Unreal really gives me thrills
          Last edited by samuel_bubat; 12-06-2017, 05:46 AM.

Comment

Will check it out, but can you tell me what browser you are using? Have you tried a different one?

Best regards,
            Vlado

Comment

I figured it out. It' s not the browser. It ' s a char on a german keyboard that seem not to be supported by the forum. It' s bad habit of me not to use the intended " ' " char but another one that probabely only exists on a german keyboard. The key left to the backspace key.
              http://www.kachold.de/images/tast_d.gif
              Everything after that is just deleted after hitting post reply.

Comment

lol @ "For whatever reasons, Unreal seemed the preferred choice"
                Everyone chooses Unreal thinking it looks more realistic. But if you're using Vray for the lighting/gi it isn't really going to matter...

Happy to hear Vray is moving into real time engines. I think the lighting/gi in both packages is horrible at the moment.
                Brendan Coyle | www.brendancoyle.com

Comment

Originally posted by samuel_bubat View Post
                  I figured it out. It' s not the browser. It ' s a char on a german keyboard that seem not to be supported by the forum. It' s bad habit of me not to use the intended " ' " char but another one that probabely only exists on a german keyboard. The key left to the backspace key.
                  http://www.kachold.de/images/tast_d.gif
                  Everything after that is just deleted after hitting post reply.
                  Hah, good to know. Will see if there is something that we can do about it.

Best regards,
                  Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by cheerioboy View Post
                    lol @ "For whatever reasons, Unreal seemed the preferred choice"
                    Everyone chooses Unreal thinking it looks more realistic.
                    Well, this page (http://kotaku.com/the-story-behind-m...ive-1795886428) offers the following opinion which most people seem to agree with:

While describing Frostbite, one top developer on Mass Effect: Andromeda used the analogy of an automobile. Epic's Unreal Engine, that developer said, is like an SUV, capable of doing lots of things but unable to go at crazy high speeds. The Unity Engine would be a compact car: small, weak, and easy to fit anyplace you'd like. Frostbite, the developer said, is a sports car. Not even a sports car, a Formula 1. When it does something well, it does it extremely well. When it doesn't do something, it really doesn't do something.
                    Of course, things may have changed since then. But the fact still remains that the guys at Epic are a lot more proactive in this area (real-time engines for non-gaming applications).

(There is also an interesting part where is says that Autodesk advised game customers to switch from 3ds Max to Maya??)

Best regards,
                    Vlado
                    Last edited by vlado; 12-06-2017, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                      Well, this page (http://kotaku.com/the-story-behind-m...ive-1795886428) offers the following opinion which most people seem to agree with:

Of course, things may have changed since then. But the fact still remains that the guys at Epic are a lot more proactive in this area (real-time engines for non-gaming applications).

(There is also an interesting part where is says that Autodesk advised game customers to switch from 3ds Max to Maya??)

Best regards,
                      Vlado
                      Well the quote is coming from a dev whose company owns Frostbite...

Interesting that Autodesk would recommend Maya over 3dsmax for game design. Wonder if it was because Maya had some tools that the devs were requesting from Autodesk, or Autodesk really is/was pushing folks off 3dsmax. The article isn't very clear about it and doesn't seem to know exactly what was going on.

Comment

Originally posted by cheerioboy View Post
                        Well the quote is coming from a dev whose company owns Frostbite...
                        That dev in particular didn't seem to have a lot of love for Frostbite

Interesting that Autodesk would recommend Maya over 3dsmax for game design. Wonder if it was because Maya had some tools that the devs were requesting from Autodesk, or Autodesk really is/was pushing folks off 3dsmax. The article isn't very clear about it and doesn't seem to know exactly what was going on.
                        Well, in the ideal world, game companies should be able to choose themselves what tools to use Especially since they already had a set up with 3ds Max that worked well.

Best regards,
                        Vlado

Comment

According to the numbers, I would say Unity is the top dog (by far), not Unreal.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/2...nvestment_.php
                          https://thenextweb.com/gaming/2016/0...#.tnw_1mv4rV6N

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffrey View Post
                            According to the numbers, I would say Unity is the top dog (by far), not Unreal.
                            For games, yes. However V-Ray for Unreal is not about games.

Best regards,
                            Vlado

Comment

This is the never ending feud, unreal vs unity!

I've been using Unity for arch viz previz since the first Oculus headset came out...
                              But I think people choose Unreal because they think the lighting/gi looks more realistic. I've been baking my lighting from Vray from the beginning so it never appealed to me. At least for me, Unity was easier to drop an FBX in and then drop into a Unity scene - and also easy to update/replace FBX files automatically. Maybe Unreal has improved - and if Vray is coming to Unreal first, I'll have to switch over and check it out.

Comment

Working...
                              X