No announcement yet.

Faster computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would suggest adding a new render node as your machine is still good and with the money you will invest in upgrading your machine you can get a very good render node that will increase the render speed way more than any new machine can ( with the same price)
    The license is not an isssue as you will pay for once (except for 3ds max) and in 2 - 3 projects based on your prices it will pay for itself ..of course you will need to do the math to see if the work load justfy this or not.
    Just my 2 cents.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Simply, I love to put pixels together! Sounds easy right : ))
    Sketchbook-1 /Sketchbook-2 / Behance / Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post

My understanding is the XEON's are built to run 24/7 and have ECC memory and Intel's i5, i7, and i9 are consumer grade processors.

They are, but also I wouldn't write off i9's, Threadrippers as simply consumer products.

If I am not going to get great speed out of a new machine, over what I have, then I am not going to bother.

You will get wonderful speed increases over your current machine, depends how much you're prepared to pay.

I am pretty set on one machine, so I am not having to become an I.T. guy again.
      Which was why I guessed earlier you'd most likely be best suited for another, much faster, Xeon machine. I've been there too Bobby, being a full time IT guy in your own home isn't my idea of fun either (so I stopped !).
      Jez

------------------------------------
      3DS Max 2023.3.4 | V-Ray 6.10.08 | Phoenix FD 4.40.00 | PD Player 64 1.0.7.32 | Forest Pack Pro 8.2.2 | RailClone 6.1.3
      Windows 11 Pro 22H2 | NVidia Drivers 535.98 (Game Drivers)

Asus X299 Sage (Bios 4001), i9-7980xe, 128Gb, 1TB m.2 OS, 2 x NVidia RTX 3090 FE
      ---- Updated 06/09/23 -------

Comment

I would def build a second system. Don't get boxx, they are overpriced. I would get a system similar to what you have now, and use it as DR then you don't need a second vray license. You can also use the system for DR but exclude your main workstation from it so you can continue working. Installing a few gpu would be interesting but I doubt its prod ready still.
        Dmitry Vinnik
        Silhouette Images Inc.
        ShowReel:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
        https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Is there a (compatible) faster processor available for your motherboard? If so, your best bang for the buck might be to stick with your current system and buy a faster pair of matching Xeon CPUs. Are you running SSD drives? If not, that's another great upgrade. You could also look into an external GPU enclosure. Not sure if it's possible to add multiple external enclosures to a system, but that might be another option?

http://www.pcgamer.com/asus-unveils-...rks-for-games/
          Work:
          Dell Precision T7910, Dual Xeon E5-2640 v4 @ 2.40GHz | 32GB RAM | NVIDIA Quadro P2000 5gb | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB
          V-Ray Benchmark: CPU 00:52 | GPU 00:32

Home:
          AMD Threadripper 1950X 3.4GHz 16-Core | 32GB RAM | (2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB
          V-Ray Benchmark: CPU 00:47 | GPU 00:34
          https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kXKcxG

Comment

Isn't an additional node license cheap compared to the cost of a new computer? I'd buy a fast single processor computer with a modest OC and a node license for your old computer. That would give you a nice boost and you can continue to use the node license in the future.

Comment

A second machine will need some kind of a network switch, a switch for the keyboard and monitor, not to mention not having space. I'll have to weigh my options.
              Bobby Parker
              www.bobby-parker.com
              e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
              phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
              • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
              • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
              • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
              • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

well if you only have 2 pc's then you can get away without a switch (maybe even more if you have a few network ports on your current pc). and you can remote desktop to it if its just a rendernode.

but you will still need somewhere to put it.

if you don't need more than 64gb ram. then ryzen 1700 is also an option. you could go itx case (need to make sure it has enough ram slots otherwise it will be limited 32gb).

if your working on anymore than one image its much better workflow to just send jobs off to render queue rather than render locally

Comment

I have 2 rendernodes i built to be discrete as possible and quiet. They are i7's in a fractal design node 605 case..which are pretty smart.I remote desktop them, but only really to start up the vray slave, so no need for extra keyboards. All pretty straightforward without feeling like im an IT manager
                  e: info@adriandenne.com
                  w: www.adriandenne.com

Comment

A second machine will need some kind of a network switch, a switch for the keyboard and monitor, not to mention not having space. I'll have to weigh my options.
                    two machines can be connected directly to each other without network switch via cross over cable. I just have two mice / keyboards on one desk but once you setup the second system you can just dr with it, and use remote desktop to log into it, its pretty fast cause you are on LAN.
                    Dmitry Vinnik
                    Silhouette Images Inc.
                    ShowReel:

Comment

Originally posted by Morbid Angel View Post
                      two machines can be connected directly to each other without network switch via cross over cable..
                      Crossover cables aren't really necessary anyone. I'm pretty sure automatic switching is standard for any gigabit Ethernet port so you can use any regular patch cable.
                      www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Right? its been years since I used it...Regardless any switch is harmless unless its some cheap one which truncates your traffic. I suppose you can consider a switch is a part of expanding, and expanding means investing into hardware
                        Dmitry Vinnik
                        Silhouette Images Inc.
                        ShowReel:

Comment

I would keep the WS for another year and I would outsource the renderings to Render farms...Besides that 1 vray license allows 1 render node
                          show me the money!!

Comment

one vray licence for two stations in not realistic. you can?t even render previews during work. but node licence is decently priced. nothing compared to whole machine.

agreed on fractal design cases. solid and quiet. those little Boxx nodes can be stacked in your basement but not the office.
                            Marcin Piotrowski
                            youtube

Comment

Working...
                            X