Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark Shadows

Hi,

I'm using the sun/sky system and Physical camera for an exterior but am having problems with the areas in shadow being extremely dark:

Primary - Irradience map
    Secondary - QMD

Colour Mapping - Reinhard - Burn .9

f-number - 12
    Shutter speed - 100
    ISO - 100

The only way I can brighten these areas is with Shadow/Highlight in Photoshop.

Does anyone have any ideas how to brighten the shade areas of the scene.

Also you may notice some odd lines that are appearing on the boards with 2d vray displacement?

Thanks,

Trev

This time I've added a 50% grey Vray Planefacing left to right joust outside of the carmera view. Also adjusted the board material.

This is the look I was hoping to get without the need for the plane to reflect light into the shaded areas.

Comment

You can also try to make the sky brighter.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Hi Vlado,

How would I go about doing that............if I load the DefaultVraySky material into the editor all the sections refer to the sun.

Or am I being stupid.

Thanks

Comment

vlado mentioned in another thread that the sky/sun system was somhow wrong, and would be fixed for the next update......not sure how wrong it is though, but Iv always found it a little "off"
          mdi-digital.com

Comment

Originally posted by tct70
            How would I go about doing that............if I load the DefaultVraySky material into the editor all the sections refer to the sun.
            You can put it in an Output map and boost the RGB level.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Are you sure you have the vray sky assigned to your environment lighting? It looks like a problem related to using a color or an HDRI map for your environment and forgetting you need to multiply their brightness by about 100 for the vray physical camera.

Or, if it is assigned correctly, just switch the sky to manual mode and increase the multiplier. But it looks like something else is wrong besides this. How many secondary QMC bounces are you doing?
              "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

Originally posted by Clifton Santiago
                Are you sure you have the vray sky assigned to your environment lighting? It looks like a problem related to using a color or an HDRI map for your environment and forgetting you need to multiply their brightness by about 100 for the vray physical camera.

Or, if it is assigned correctly, just switch the sky to manual mode and increase the multiplier. But it looks like something else is wrong besides this. How many secondary QMC bounces are you doing?
                Yeah, something doesn't look right with the sky background - it looks way to dark for the camera you describe. Are you using a Linear Workflow (LWF) - this would help to bright the shadow areas as well.

For the displacement, see the sticky here...http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/phpB...ic.php?t=14300
                www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Vlado: Increasing the RGB value does add more light, but also colours everything light blue.

Clifton: Same thing with the multiplier. The sky is in the Rendering>Environment dialougue, but not in the V-Ray:: Enviromnent GI Environment (skylight) override panel. I have 3 QMC secondary bounces.

dlparisi: No LWF. I'm using Viz and there are no checkboxes for the material editor in the gamma preferences. Thanks for the displacement info, just rebuilt the walls with planes converted to editable poly and works great.

I'm using an RC4 build, can I apply a 2.2 gamma in the Reinhard colour mapping panel instead of assigning it in the preferences gamma tab.

Cheers

Comment

Clifton: Same thing with the multiplier. The sky is in the Rendering>Environment dialougue, but not in the V-Ray:: Enviromnent GI Environment (skylight) override panel.
                    Is the Environment GI "override" checked? (it shouldn't be)

dlparisi: No LWF. I'm using Viz and there are no checkboxes for the material editor in the gamma preferences. ... I'm using an RC4 build, can I apply a 2.2 gamma in the Reinhard colour mapping panel instead of assigning it in the preferences gamma tab.
                    I belive this just sets the gamma for the rendered images, not how colors are interpretted internally, so setting it it the color mapping box won't work. I used to work in Viz 2005 and used LWF just fine. I can't remeber the specifics but there were less checkboxes than Max but this didn't matter. Just check Enable Gamma, set to 2.2 and change the bitmap gamma to 2.2 (or something like that).
                    www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

f-number - 12
                      Shutter speed - 100
                      ISO - 100

These setting seem a little dark. Try tweaking these...

f-number - 8
                      Shutter Speed - 30-60
                      ISO - 100
                      Bobby Parker
                      www.bobby-parker.com
                      e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
                      phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
                      • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                      • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
                      • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
                      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Try following Lele's (studioDIM) tutorial, will fix that right up.

Comment

OK...........I'm back on this scene again. I rendered it with the vray plane off camera reflecting some light because I was on a deadline and it went down well:

Now this has saved the day, but I would like to get this without cheating. I've seen other work that does not get involved in LWF:

http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/phpB...hysical+camera

Glorybound: those settings blew my image out completely.

All this is leading me to think I must have done something foolish....or more likely down righ bloody stupid.

Comment

Working...
                          X