Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gamma & Autodesk view LUT - what is the real thing???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gamma & Autodesk view LUT - what is the real thing???

This is question what i never wanted to ask, but maybe it's worth to ask..

1. What i think to know:
    + CRT -> historicaly we have to gammacorrect this type of monitor with all the questions.
    + LCD -> no gammacorrection, because no phosphor, and no need to "bend" the curve back. The best results (for me) is to calibrate my monitors based not on gamma but on Lab axis (L*)

2. What i think 3dsmax/vray is doing:
    + vray-framebuffer -> the framebuffer uses the colorspace (?) provided by vray, which gives you more possibilities, but not a "gammacorrected" result which is only needed when you want to work with 8bit/color images... LWF is then needed (or whatever will come in future until photoshop works better together with EXR)
    + max-framebuffer -> you only have to tweak your gammasettings and everything should be fine ..since max2 - but not with a monitor calibrated on L*, since this is something different.

3. What i want to know:
    Should we still use colorcorrection based on gammavalues (in /out /view), when this model of monitorcorrection is outdated when most users have a LCD at work?

How does Autodesk view LUT work? Will it only affect the viewport or also the renderoutput?

..well :]
    www.cgtechniques.com | http://www.hdrlabs.com - home of hdri knowledge

In my experience, changing from crt's to lcd's, I still need to work in LWF.
    I'm not sure what you mean with "The best results (for me) is to calibrate my monitors based not on gamma but on Lab axis (L*)"?

Autodesk Lut's are a view only feature, and basically let you correct for more specialized media, like film etc, as it is defined by a curve that can be customised quite a lot. Then again, I had great problems using the LUT I saved out of Combustion, so I stick to 2.2 gamma instead.
    (I sometimes get the impression that the various product development teams assimilated into Autodesk during the years, don't really like communicating with each other).
    Signing out,
    Christian

Comment

thanks for your answer! .. i thought no1 is interrested in a topic which will influence us in some years.

So i need combustion to generate a correct LUT?

Back to my situation:
      I use the blue eye one from lacie since 4-5 years or so, but since i use basICColor to calibrate my LCD based on L* axis calibraton ( i only have the german manual and don't know exactly the english name) i see a difference in photos, which have much more "dark" colors but also rendering a grayscale gradient gives me a much more logical result.

The Problem is now this:
      Using a L* calibrated monitor together with max view gamma gives me a gamma from 2.5 - 2.6 and leads me to the question, if there is a solution for using L* calibrated monitoirs together with images which uses a gamma curves to bend the brightness back to what we expect to see. (Linear colorrendition)
      www.cgtechniques.com | http://www.hdrlabs.com - home of hdri knowledge

Comment

Working...
      X