YALT (Yet another linear thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
    Dan, over at Cebas, implied that V-Ray will render faster if you have Gamma set to 2.2 and "Don't affect colors" enabled.
    No, I did not say that

You tell V-Ray with these options (V-ray Gamma 2.2 and Don't affect colors ON) to take more time rendering very dark areas, because you will later look at it with a 2.2 gamma correction applied. So it will take longer to render. But if you were to leave the V-Ray gamma at 1.0 and use other options to raise the quality just to fix noise in these dark areas then this would probably take even longer to render.

Best Regards,
    Daniel
    Daniel Schmidt - Developer of psd-manager

Comment

Ya, that's what you said ;?)
      Bobby Parker
      www.bobby-parker.com
      e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
      phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
      • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
      • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
      • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

My image is still opening up, in PS, with a double gamma. I'm saving an 32bit PSD, through PSD-Manager. I looked through PS settings and I am not seeing anything off. It's not a great big deal, because I manually do an inverse gamma in PS (4545).
        Bobby Parker
        www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
          My image is still opening up, in PS, with a double gamma. I'm saving an 32bit PSD, through PSD-Manager. I looked through PS settings and I am not seeing anything off. It's not a great big deal, because I manually do an inverse gamma in PS (4545).
          psd-manager never does gamma correction for 32-bit (HDR) PSD files. In Photoshop turn View > Proof Colors: OFF.

Daniel
          Daniel Schmidt - Developer of psd-manager

Comment

Originally posted by dans View Post

psd-manager never does gamma correction for 32-bit (HDR) PSD files. In Photoshop turn View > Proof Colors: OFF.

Daniel
            I have tried that. I'll dig deeper tomorrow. Thanks for the help.
            Bobby Parker
            www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
            • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

set your max gamma out to 1
              Kind Regards,
              Morne

Comment

I have been doing this, but it seems to be different from what is recommended. I can set my MAX Out Gamma to 1, or VRAY Gamma to 1; both work. But, why am I not getting the results I need with the recommended settings?
                Originally posted by Morne View Post
                set your max gamma out to 1
                Bobby Parker
                www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

So, Dman, how did your test work out in the end using the linear workflow button as Svetlozar suggested and also loading in the adobe correction curves?

Comment

Hey Bobby hope you get that sorted, do not use the product myself.

@gunny263
                    I am working on some stuff with a little more tolerance for color but as soon as it is complete I am going back to focus on the subject to make sure everything
                    makes sense.

Im afraid work has interferred with getting everything sorted. At least with loading the adobe RGB into the VFB the colors look much more accurate when changing between
                    RGB to Adobe RGB, just by eye.

I think the main difference with using or not using the max gamma came down to the shadows being brighter if you use "dont affect colors" (with sRGB preview)
                    and either baking 2.2 in or 1 then 2.2 post etc. The colors right or wrong all seemed to remain in the same neigborhood if not identical.

Of course switching between color profiles will shift things but you can get away with converting to a profile in pshop rather than re-assigning it which will make
                    a visible shift. I need to go back and double check process and file type to see what is or what is not taking a default profile when opened in pshop in the color prefs.
                    to ensure that was not what started it all. It may have been knee jerk reaction to post this in the first place. I think I was not thinking too clearly that day
                    after a solid couple of weeks of grinding work. :P

One thing I could not resolve and am at a loss to sort is the displacement test of making a gradient, linear or radial, bitmap and displacing and getting
                    a linear displacement. No matter what I did or how I made or saved the bitmaps it was not linear, ever. The only way I would get a linear response in the
                    displacement test was with a gradient ramp map. That whole thing indicates to me I am either doing something wrong, understand something wrong (or both)
                    or there is a bug or process issue somewhere. See post #8 on page 1.

Anyone else get that to work? Make a gradient bitmap and use that with a displace modifier and get a linear resulting displacement?
                    Last edited by Dman3d; 18-12-2012, 02:55 PM.
                    "It's the rebels sir....They're here..."

Comment

Update
                      I am still unable to match the VFB to the same image in photoshop no matter what I do or how I do it, with or without gamma
                      so I have no idea what is going on. Ive loaded the Adobe RGB 1998 ICC into the VRay VFB, saving with, without, float not float
                      with or without gamma what I render in max does not match when I open the same thing in photoshop.
                      With Adobe RGB 1998 assigned as default RGB profile. Im unsure which formats do not store a profile (if any) when you
                      save them from max, sort of getting the profile 2x when I open it in photoshop?

Also tried Svetlovars no max gamma method too with no luck.

I need someone to lay out a process for me so I can check my madness.

Comment

Maybe it's Photoshop. Try installing CS6, with it's defaults, and see if that solves it. Unless, of coarse, you re using CS6.
                        Bobby Parker
                        www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Did you install the disk that came with your monitor? Or did you at any stage do a Windows update and included a driver for your monitor?
                          (if you did, then that could be the source of your troubles)

To simplify things for a test, just stick to srgb and see if you get same results in VFB and photoshop. (and make sure no monitor profile is loaded in windows)
                          Kind Regards,
                          Morne

Comment

Hey Bobby already using cs6.
                            Hmm that makes sense morne, we use a calibrator so we all see approximately the same thing, I say approximate since we don't use high end monitors and its a mix of brands/types. That leads to another problem of course.
                            If it works does that mean photoshop or max/vray ignores or is immune to any profiles used by windows?
                            Or I suppose that means its the vfb icc + monitor profile = wrong, for some reason never thought of that, amazingly dumb of me.
                            That being said, it appears, this is anecdotal, that the difference mainly shows up, or at least is visible to the eye
                            In warm colors, reds showing the most obvious problems.
                            So will test this in the morning and try to sort what it means for our workflow.
                            Last edited by Dman3d; 23-01-2013, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Bobby/Morne-
                              It looks like indeed the color profile from the i1 calibrator is the problem, as long as there is no profile selected they look the same,
                              but, it I use the adobe RGB 1998 icc in vfb and use adobe rgb 1998 in photoshop they look different
                              So srgb/srgb is the closest match. Will ,work with calibrating and using that calibration on both ends and see what that does.

So now, is it possible to calibrate and see the same result in both spaces, or is it possible? I guess I am off in my thinking of the profiles, their intent and what they do.
                              If not how can you calibrate to a monitor to 2.2 or whatever and know you are looking at at least the approximate same results.
                              Last edited by Dman3d; 24-01-2013, 06:44 PM.

Comment

and if anyone is keeping score
                                In photoshop
                                View->Proof setup (monitor RGB or sRGB)
                                View->Proof colors voila
                                but, its only visual and not baked into the resulting image.
                                Given more readings its a little more of a rats nest than I expected.
                                http://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/pdf...p_colspace.pdf

And found this
                                http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbu...endered-images
                                Last edited by Dman3d; 24-01-2013, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X