Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating realistic bathwater Vray adv + max2012

Im looking for a good solution.

Im currently working with VRAY adv in max 2012 and im looking for a realistic way to create bathwater.

Left is my attempt, right is my goal.

As you can see, my water is too chaotic, it looks like a bubble bath.

I am using a plane with the current dimensions:

Applied a displacement modifier with a noisemap

displacement settings

noisemap settings

caustics settings:

and last but not least, the water material settings:

If anyone has some advice, that would be greatly appreciated.

(addition)

This is rendered without using a displacement modifier and as you can see the water is really noisy, not sure what causes this, ive literally touched all settings. Nothing cleans it up.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Play with the output map to create a striated noise

Comment

output map? Which settings do you mean besides the resolution or output file? There is no other settings.

Comment

Your bump / displace is about three times too small for starters - it's making the caustic pattern very broken and fussy!

Comment

Originally posted by Papigiulio View Post
          output map? Which settings do you mean besides the resolution or output file? There is no other settings.
          Add points to the output graph creating jagged slopes

Comment

Originally posted by joconnell View Post
            Your bump / displace is about three times too small for starters - it's making the caustic pattern very broken and fussy!
            I fixed that now, the waves look a lot bigger. I just have a problem with the caustics, I dont get any nice light streaks, only noise as you can see from the last image in my first post.

Comment

In the beginning of this thread you mentioned that you were using a plane for the water. In my experience, if you want the liquid volume to look physically correct, you must create a solid model to represent your water. You might try modelling a water volume that fits the bath tub. Remember to intersect it slightly with the tub geometry so that the refraction is correct.

Hope this might help,

-Alan

Comment

It´s probably not a real option anymore. The most realistic water of that scale was done in reactor in case you have still a max 2011 installed.
                http://sorceress.netfrag.org/optix/s...orwater_01.mov

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Iglesias View Post
                  In the beginning of this thread you mentioned that you were using a plane for the water. In my experience, if you want the liquid volume to look physically correct, you must create a solid model to represent your water. You might try modelling a water volume that fits the bath tub. Remember to intersect it slightly with the tub geometry so that the refraction is correct.

Hope this might help,

-Alan
                  Nope that´s wrong. If you intersect it, it renders like if you would just use a plane wich is by the way more or less correct. A plane for water is ok.

Comment

My thoughts exactly. The only reason to model the volume and intersecting it is if the container of water is refractive itself.
                    Signing out,
                    Christian

Comment

Im terribly sorry for the late reply, and wanted to thank you all again for the help. I will hereby show you the final ( sorry due to Japanese copyright im not allowed to show the whole image) of the bathwater.

Quite a hassle, but glad it worked out well. it was indeed the water that needed to be a closed mesh, sun from the right direction and a lot of separate layer rendering.

Comment

BTW I have to add that this is 90% with the help of CGTALK user airflow.

Comment

Working...
                        X