Subsequent passes getting faster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subsequent passes getting faster?

Maybe a stupid question, but if you have a min./max. GI sampling setting of -3,0 then does each subsequent pass skip the already gathered information (and thus be faster) or does each pass take as long as if there would be no other pass before it? And I assume you answer will be applicable to the min./max. image sampling settings as well?

Thanks and cheers,

Metin
    Sevensheaven.nl — design | illustration | visualization | cartoons | animation

it seems to me that each pass gets slower...especially the last pass calculating the Imap...toward the end of it........it can gat painfully slow in some cases.....

I would like to know why that is, though.....

paul.

Comment

-1 has more detail than -2, but that might be compensated by the already gathered information from previous passes. My guess is that it works kind of that way.

Cheers,

M7

Comment

my general thinking is that pass after pass is just a refining process of the Map so it will get slower as it reaches the end.
        Natty
        http://www.rendertime.co.uk

Comment

Sometimes it can get slower and sometimes it can get faster. If you notice it getting faster also notice that there are allot of gray areas for each subsequent pass. This is where VRay is adapting and deciding not to put any more samples in that area relative to all threshold settings and ranges. The graying out can be obvious on planar areas that don't have other faces in proximity.

--Jon

Comment

my general thinking is that pass after pass is just a refining process of the Map so it will get slower as it reaches the end.
            yeah, that's kinda my thought as well....

paul.

Comment

Hi guys,

Yep, I think so too (about the refining process). But still I think the speed of the refinement is dependent of the previous passes, because gathered information doesn't have to be regathered.

Cheerio,

M7

P.S.: Jon, I assume that's a realistic photograph of yourself in your new avatar? Yep, my avatar is also a realistic portrait of me.

Comment

No, I color corrected it a little

--Jon

Comment

No, I color corrected it a little

--Jon
                  lookin' gooood.......

Comment

Just call me Grampy or Pappy or Slappy

Hey M7 I just saw one of your works in the MAX5 images folder. Good job on that I've always liked it from your site.

--Jon

Comment

Thanks man! I guess the image with the kid is one of my better works so far. At least I took the time for each individual element, which is something you usually can't afford with the ever returning deadline monster.

Cheers,

Metin

Comment

For those of you who have become curious what image we're talking about, here it is:

And recently someone e-mailed me that some guy has probably seen my picture before creating his entry for some competition at CGTalk. Check out this page from that particular thread to see the image I mean:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php...5&pagenumber=4

Cheers!

Metin

Comment

They are very similar

It's funny that one of the responses tries to justify it by saying that a boy and his teddy are a common subject but what about the style, the camera angle and the fact that the kid is staring at a bunch of sparkly points ( like your stars too ). It's too much like yours for me to accept it's a coincidence. Anyway, If I were you I'd feel kinda honored that I inspired someone like that but I don't think it should have been entered into a contest as original work

--Jon

Comment

Thanks Jon,

Yep, I agree that there are a little bit too many similarities. Well, let's just say that imitation is the highest form of flattery. The guy seems like a nice guy who has probably seen my picture once (after all, my image is already more than 3 years old) and formed his unconscious inspiration into originality for himself.

Cheers,

Metin

Comment

Working...
                            X