Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interior lit by HDRI DomeLight - am I insane?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've really enjoyed seeing the varying opinions in this thread, and would like to conclude that I DON'T think I'm insane to light my interiors in this way, and in answer to Crush, even for my animations.

After extensive, and extremely helpful testing by, and conversations with, Morbid and Peter, one of the main issues I am facing is down to hardware, plain and simple. It was ace to realise as an artist I'm not doing anyting particularly wrong, but I am constantly fighting against the 'cutbacks' alluded to by Crush in order to get reasonable render times. The key ones for me are storing the domelight in the imap and limiting glossies.

Both Peter and Morbid provided a solution that was desirable, both producing clean renders with great lighting quality and excellent render times, even with materials. Peter used HDRI as seen in his tutorial, Morbid used VraySun/Sky and Portals. When I ran both the test scenes on my setup, the render times where high and there was a touch more noise in the renders, therefore we realised our hardware is very much dated and the upgrade to Vray 3 is required!

I explored Peters setup a bit more and ran an animation with his settings, and there was too much noise to be able to present to clients, but as Peter claims he's not interested in this side of things! So I expect if I up the light subdivs I'll have slightly higher render times than I'm used to, but with much better lighting quality and shadow definition.

So I think with a better hardware setup I can easily achive the next level of quality I want, just need to find some pennies to pay for it!
    Cheers, Michael.

Comment

Thanks for sharing your findings, and thanks to everyone who contributed. I don't post much, but let me tell you guys that I value this forum immensely because of the different approaches and insights presented here for years.

Regarding the noise issue, I forgot to add that you'll also have to keep in mind what happens afterwards. Sometimes, minor noise issues in the rendering become far more visible when there is extensive color grading applied in post.

Comment

Working...
      X