Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burnout - Reinhard or Linear?

Hi all

So TODAY, whats the common method for rendering?

A while back, when Linear was the default color mapping, Vlado showed an example for very bright areas where Reinhard burn on 0.05 and "none, color mapping only" resulted in much faster rendering.
    Are we still doing it like this "by default"?

OR

should we stick to the default color mapping? How do you guys then deal with the typical burnout areas you usually get from linear 1.0? What do you do in post to fix this?
    If I use the VFB to bring down the Highlight burn, the whole image becomes dull and grey. If I then use the VFB again to push the contrast back up, I'm left again with burnout hotspots
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

For me, I typically use Reinhard with a burn value of .6. Though this can be highly scene dependent, but as a general rule that is my starting point. I feel that gives me a nice strong highlight but still reduces some of the harsher burns that you can get with full linear. If I need to further reduce or enhance my highlights, I'll take my exr into Photoshop and use Camera Raw to adjust it further as needed. I've found that using too low of a burn value in Reinhard makes my image too washy and I have to put back way more contrast in Photoshop that I'd like to.

I think ultimately it comes down to does your method produce good results and are your render times within your own personal pain threshold for waiting? I've adopted most of Vlado's recent universal settings, but for me personally, I use a noise threshold of .01 as .005 was just way too much overkill and provided longer than needed render times for very little return in quality.

Comment

I have been going 100% linear and rendering out at 32bit, fixing any bright spots with tone mapping in post. However, I have noticed that the render goes faster when you clamp things and render using Reinhard.
      Bobby Parker
      www.bobby-parker.com
      e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
      phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
      • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
      • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
      • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
        I have been going 100% linear and rendering out at 32bit, fixing any bright spots with tone mapping in post. However, I have noticed that the render goes faster when you clamp things and render using Reinhard.
        X2...

The best choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Morne View Post
          A while back, when Linear was the default color mapping, Vlado showed an example for very bright areas where Reinhard burn on 0.05 and "none, color mapping only" resulted in much faster rendering.
          Curious... do you remember the post?
          www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Morne View Post
            I tested these settings some months ago. Indeed, the rendering is quicker, but it was far noisier, especially in dark areas.
            https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Originally posted by dlparisi View Post
              Curious... do you remember the post?

This one:
              http://forums.chaosgroup.com/showthr...579#post543579
              Kind Regards,
              Morne

Comment

Thanks for finding that!
                www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Working...
                X