Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightmap for Animation (comparison?)

I was wondering if anyone has tried this yet:

Using a high quality lightmap for a walkthru?

If i understand it correctly, The lightmap will be calculated once for the entire scene. If you use high enough settings(LM for 1st & 2nd), can you render out the lightmap faster than the irr. map (using incremental) with equal quality?

I may have to try it on a small scene. Unless someone else has.

travis

that would be awesome but i dont think the lightmap works to well by itself?

if you have any luck let us know! *remembers the olden days*

Comment

hi guy's

this was a quick test i did with light map first bounce and Quasi in second ...... quality was pretty good and the render times are very fast ... but it is a very simple scene .... http://render-time.com/vray/lightmap.wmv
      Natty
      http://www.rendertime.co.uk

Comment

nice! as daelf would say, "looks nice, now lets see your settings."

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

I am going to try to comapre using that teapot scene, that people have been playing with in the Maxweel thread. Going to try to use most of different materials vray has to offer..with the exception off SS.

Well see how it does.

How long did the LM take to compute natty?

Comment

the lightmap took 15 mins .. @ 1800 subdivs
            Natty
            http://www.rendertime.co.uk

Comment

Id be willing to bet that would be faster than incremental irr. map, but the QMC might slow done the raytrace rendering part. Well see.

Comment

is it lightmap useful for exterior view too?

can it be used for this kind of scenes?

thanks in advance
                Workstation: Asus p9x79WS I7 3930K Noctua NH-D14@4200GHz SE2011 16GB RAM Kingston Hyperx Beast SSD 500Gb Samsung x2 SATA3 WD raid edition4 64MB GTX760 2GB DDR5 CoolerMaster 690III

https://www.facebook.com/essetreddi..../photos_albums

Comment

I've used it for exteriors and it works well as it does for interiors...

paul.

Comment

thx

I hope for the next future to use it
                    Workstation: Asus p9x79WS I7 3930K Noctua NH-D14@4200GHz SE2011 16GB RAM Kingston Hyperx Beast SSD 500Gb Samsung x2 SATA3 WD raid edition4 64MB GTX760 2GB DDR5 CoolerMaster 690III

https://www.facebook.com/essetreddi..../photos_albums

Comment

i tried lightmap (secondary engine) for an animated walktrough.
                      the model was a moderately complex building.
                      the camera moved into the building and through a very large room (bank).

the quality was very bad even with a large lightmap file (250 mb).
                      settings tried: flythrough, world scale, several filter settings, sample settings.
                      qmc for secondary was faster and looked better.

seems to be usable only for simple scenes with low poly count.

edit: my animation was over 1000 frames long, maybe that has something to do with low quality?
                      Reflect, repent and reboot.
                      Order shall return.

Comment

hey Tammo,

What QMC settings do you use for secondary bounces in animations? currently im using 6-3

Lets say for an animation at 720x576, what GI settings would you have? at the moment im using -3 -1 with 70hsubs, 2 interp

Also, for AA, i've been using fixed 1 - 4 as is seems much faster than adaptive for large detailed scenes

thanks,
                        Paul

Comment

my animation was over 1000 frames long, maybe that has something to do with low quality?
                          You will need more subdivs for the lightmap for long animations, especially if the camera path covers many different parts of the scene. The subdivs are spread out across the entire animation, so you will need to increase them accordingly.

Best regards,
                          Vlado
                          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Vlado (or anyone who knows about lightmaps),

Sorry I'm confused now.

How would you calculate a lightmap for an flythro of say 1000 frames where only the camera moves? Would you use the same method as you would for calulating an irradiance map (by setting lightmap mode to flythro and rendering every 10th frame and auto saving the result) or is there a better way?

Thanks

Dan
                            Dan Brew

Comment

Dan,

Flythrough is an optional mode for lightmap, where it calculates the lightmap for the whole animation in one go. In the viewport it apears as seeing all frames blended together in one frame. But like Vlado mentioned, when your camera sees a lot of the scene during the animation, you would need many many more samples than for a still image. I have tried to render with lightmap only for an animation, but without good results so far. The outcome is always blotchy even with very large lightmap files. Lightmap +QMC is a great couple though.
                              You can contact StudioGijs for 3D visualization and 3D modeling related services and on-site training.

Comment

Working...
                              X