Universal V-Ray settings (well, almost)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i tried the settings,
    they seem to be much slower than Irradiance map and Lightcache.
    Maybe they produce better quality pictures?
    Will they work with moving object animations?
    Reflect, repent and reboot.
    Order shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by tammo
      i tried the settings,
      they seem to be much slower than Irradiance map and Lightcache.
      Yep, this is what I said too
      Maybe they produce better quality pictures?
      Since QMC GI captures details a lot better, it usually means better images, yes - esp. where GI shadows are concerned.
      Will they work with moving object animations?
      Yep, although the light cache subdivs may require some adjustments.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

With your settings, what else can we do to reduce render times?

1) AA setttings
        2) Noise threshold
        3) Enable interpolation in glossy materials
        4) Use LC for glossies.

Anything else?
        LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
        HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
        Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

Question Vlado. In the new 1.5 help file, how does the following statement apply to your universal settings?:

In previous V-Ray versions, increasing the Max subdivs parameter could lead to increased noise in the renderings when using direct GI evaluation, blurry reflections, area lights etc. This was extremely obvious when using the "universal settings" scenario. To compensate for this effect, a lower Noise threshold for the rQMC sampler was required.

This is now corrected and increasing the Max subdivs for the Adaptive rQMC image sampler keeps the same noise level without modifications to the Noise threshold. This should be kept in mind when working with older scenes where the Noise threshold was reduced - they might render slower, although the noise level will be much less. To reduce the render times again, you should increase the Noise threshold or override it by unchecking the Use rQMC sampler thresh. option in the Adaptive rQMC image sampler rollout.
          Does this mean we can just leave the noise threshold at 0.04 now as long as long as Use QMC sampler thresh. is checked?
          LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
          HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
          Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

Originally posted by jujubee
            Question Vlado. In the new 1.5 help file, how does the following statement apply to your universal settings?:

In previous V-Ray versions, increasing the Max subdivs parameter could lead to increased noise in the renderings when using direct GI evaluation, blurry reflections, area lights etc. This was extremely obvious when using the "universal settings" scenario. To compensate for this effect, a lower Noise threshold for the rQMC sampler was required.

This is now corrected and increasing the Max subdivs for the Adaptive rQMC image sampler keeps the same noise level without modifications to the Noise threshold. This should be kept in mind when working with older scenes where the Noise threshold was reduced - they might render slower, although the noise level will be much less. To reduce the render times again, you should increase the Noise threshold or override it by unchecking the Use rQMC sampler thresh. option in the Adaptive rQMC image sampler rollout.
            Does this mean we can just leave the noise threshold at 0.04 now as long as long as Use QMC sampler thresh. is checked?
            Maybe you mean 0.01 (the default)? You can keep it at that for a good result; for high quality you may want to decrease this a little more.

Best regards,
            Vlado

Comment

Hi Vlado,

You refer to the universal settings a few times in the manual, but do V-Ray manual readers have to know this forum topic or are the universal settings explained in the manual as well? Couldn't find it, but I might have overlooked it.

Cheers,

Metin
              Sevensheaven.nl — design | illustration | visualization | cartoons | animation

Comment

Originally posted by Metin_7
                Hi Vlado,

You refer to the universal settings a few times in the manual, but do V-Ray manual readers have to know this forum topic or are the universal settings explained in the manual as well? Couldn't find it, but I might have overlooked it.

Cheers,

Metin
                It was supposed to be in the tutorial section, but I didn't get time to finish it. Once I do that, I will add it there.

Best regards,
                Vlado

Comment

Ok, thanks!

One more remark (not about the manual): the V-Ray settings dialog in the render dialog's System rollout still includes "Light Map" in stead of "Light Cache". Just thought to mention this.

Cheers,

Metin
                  Sevensheaven.nl — design | illustration | visualization | cartoons | animation

Comment

does the method also work with adaptive subdivision AA?

I still have this problem...
                    http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/phpB...998&highlight=

my images gets darker with the universial setting method!
                    I don't want to use linear colormapping in every situation.

best regards
                    themaxxer
                    Pixelschmiede GmbH
                    www.pixelschmiede.ch

Comment

And I was curious about that Maxwell renderer. And as it turns out I already have it built into Vray. All I had to do was to assign the Universal setting

It gave me all of that which Maxwell offers. Great renders and astronomous rendertimes.

I'm not going for that other Maxwell renderer.
                      I'm practically married to Vray. Thank's for your never ending efforts to bring us the best.

best regards
                      -Carl Wellander

Comment

Originally posted by themaxxer
                        does the method also work with adaptive subdivision AA?

I still have this problem...
                        http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/phpB...998&highlight=

my images gets darker with the universial setting method!
                        I don't want to use linear colormapping in every situation.

best regards
                        themaxxer
                        This is solved in the RCx builds if you uncheck both "subpixel mapping" and "clamp output" options in the Color mapping rollout. If these are off (which they are by default), your image will not get darker as you add more samples.

Best regards,
                        Vlado

Comment

Are there any IRR/LC universal settings ?

Comment

Originally posted by rmejia
                            Are there any IRR/LC universal settings ?
                            Micha posted something along these lines over at the V-Ray for Rhino forum, I will try to find it.

Best regards,
                            Vlado

Comment

Thanks for the tip. Found this over at the asgvis site:

Micha's Starter Kit
                              http://www.asgvis.com/index.php?opti...d=29&Itemid=57

GI test animation
                              http://www.asgvis.com/VfRtw/pub/VfR/..._animation.gif

Comment

Since IR map is resolution dependant it won't make much sense imo. Settings that work well at 800*600 will take forever on 3200*2400 for example (if you don't tweak the min/max rate)
                                Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

Comment

Working...
                                X