Universal V-Ray settings (well, almost)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vlado View Post
    We've corrected the original post in the thread to reflect the new names for V-Ray 1.5 and later.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    Thanks Vlado, but I still find the LC settings a bit confusing. I don't see "interpolation samples" to set to 5. I understand that the subdivisions needs to be adjusted on per-scene basis, but what about all the other settings? Is there a universal setting for those?

Also, in Chris Nichols video, if I remember right, he also set the "global subdivision multiplier" in the DMC Sampler rollout to .01 to make sure that the noise was evened out across the scene for the DMC sampling to clean up. Should we do that for the Universal settings, or leave that set to 1?

Thanks,
    b
    Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
    e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

Hey Vlado -
      Any chance you could clarify those last questions for me? I have a job on the go I/m using the universal settings approach for.

Thanks in advance,

b
      Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com

Comment

In the light cache settings, there is a parameter called "Filter"; if you set it to "Nearest", you will get an option with the number of samples below it - this is the "Interpolation samples" parameter (by default it is set to 10).

For the global subdivs multiplier, you should leave it to the default value. It is the "Noise threshold" that you need to adjust.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks Vlado

b
          Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com

Comment

Does it make any difference with the universal settings if I control the noise using "CLR Threshold" in the ADMC image sampler rollout, or if I check and used the DMC "noise threshold' instead? They appear to do the same thing to me so far.

Thanks.
            b
            Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com

Comment

Yep, they do the same thing in this case.

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

I am wondering what cases we might be better off using the clr threshold option? The recent free webinar was pretty adamant that it would be much better on average (for render times/noise reduction) that we NOT use the DMC sampler and use the clr threshold option. I didn't get a d-load link to review it later and am not clear on what the reasoning was. Just seems likely that there is more to it if Vlado is not making the same recommendation.

Are there any general types of scenes/situations where it would be better to use clr or DMC?

Thanks in advance
                b
                Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com

Comment

3DATS Webinar

Here is the followup email with link to the video:

For those of you who watched the presentation on V-Ray image sampling, we hoped you enjoyed it. For those that missed it or wish to watch it again, you can download it now at the following link. It is important to mention that due to video compression, some of the renderings in the presentation might appear to have noise in it, when in reality, it's only because of compression.

http://e1.simplecdn.net/3dats.vray.i...e_sampling.wmv (98MB)

Also, in the video, there was mention of an Ambient Occlusion tutorial. This tutorial can be found at the following link, which should download faster than the link mentioned in the presentation.

http://e1.simplecdn.net/3dats.vray.i..._Occlusion.zip (14MB)

Comment

Originally posted by simmsimaging View Post
                    I am wondering what cases we might be better off using the clr threshold option? The recent free webinar was pretty adamant that it would be much better on average (for render times/noise reduction) that we NOT use the DMC sampler and use the clr threshold option. I didn't get a d-load link to review it later and am not clear on what the reasoning was. Just seems likely that there is more to it if Vlado is not making the same recommendation.

Are there any general types of scenes/situations where it would be better to use clr or DMC?

Thanks in advance
                    b
                    In the context of the universal settings, both thresholds do exactly the same thing. For other setups, things may be different. I'm not recommending anything, I'm just noting that in this case it doesn't matter which one you use There may be other considerations from a workflow point of view.

Best regards,
                    Vlado

Comment

• Originally posted by simmsimaging View Post

Thanks in advance
                      b
                      Say other glossy effects are already clean with that noise threshol/subdivs combination, before AA kicks in.
                      In that case, you'd rather only raise the AA color Threshold, to maybe sample less in the clean-ish areas, and more in the high-contrast ones.
                      If you changed the noise threshold in that case, you'd either raise the noise in the other glossy effects (raising the noise threshold), or forced more sampling on the glossies and the AA (lowering noise threshold).

I think Vlado said it in the very first post:

Disadvantages of these settings:
                      (*) May be slow to render. With tweaking, you may get faster results.
                      Last edited by ^Lele^; 02-11-2009, 05:24 PM.
                      Lele
                      Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                      ----------------------
                      emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                      The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Working...
                      X