Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VRay Sun, Sky and Physical Camera video tut + Bonus Script!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got it. The weird thing is this time it opened a completely different window with a download link directly to the file. Not sure what's going on, but at least it worked. However, I tried to open the file and I couldn't. Is this a Max 9 scene? I only have Max 8. If so, any chance of getting it in Max 8?

I really appreciate the help!

Comment

• I changed rig, and never got around to reinstalling max 8, sorry.
      Will try get around that in the coming days (possibly over the weekend).
      Following the tutorial should be simple enough, though, and the script should work well with max 8 as well.
      Let me know if you find issues, anyways.

Always glad to be of help, even if it's small stuff

Lele

Comment

• True, I'll look back through the videos as well and rebuild the scene. If you do however save out a Max 8 version, that would be great. I'm working on getting an upgrade to 9 as well, but that probably won't happen for a couple of weeks.

Thanks!

Comment

• Great stuff, cant believe I missed this at first post. This is the very thing I have been looking to confirm. So glad I am not insane.
          But in the end it is all relative baby.
          "It's the rebels sir....They're here..."

Comment

• Relative it is, Baby!
            It's the knack of it all, indeed

And we're at least in two, being nuts :P

(along with 14500 people, it seems )

Lele

Comment

• converting mats back to default gamma

I've been following this thread with great interest.

Well done Lele. Thanks for spreading your wisdom.

The only thing I wish your script could do is to change all the materials back again.

Comment

• It actually can: if you simply want to undo the mass-change, after you did it, the Undo works.
                Otherwise, should you be way down the road, and out of undos, set the values to 1.000 and check the two boxes (they'll turn to "absolute" mode).
                While it won't get rid of the eventual additions the script made (output maps, vray colours), it will revert the lot to a multiplier of 1.
                Of course, it will not cater for any multiplier different from 1.000 your maps had in the first place (but that could be done fairly easily... will look into it).

And it's no wisdom (i so wished it was...), just observation

Lele

Comment

• I see - thanks alot

Comment

• I just got Max 9, so I was able to do a test with the gargoyle scene. I really like the results, so I'll have some fun testing them further.

I did try one quick test between render presets that I have saved. This first image is a direct render out of studioDIM's file using the settings he had in that file:

This next one is after applying a render settings preset that I got from one of Vlado's LWF threads (I forget which one), but has less noise and rendered VERY fast:

I can post the render settings in case anyone wants to see them. I can't take credit for them. Thought you guys might be interested. I was pretty surprised.

Comment

• Looking at the two images now, I can see that some of the areas in studioDIM's setup are a little bit darker than the second image. That could probably be tweaked though.

Comment

• Originally posted by flavrsaver
                        I just got Max 9, so I was able to do a test with the gargoyle scene. I really like the results, so I'll have some fun testing them further.

I did try one quick test between render presets that I have saved. This first image is a direct render out of studioDIM's file using the settings he had in that file:

This next one is after applying a render settings preset that I got from one of Vlado's LWF threads (I forget which one), but has less noise and rendered VERY fast:

I can post the render settings in case anyone wants to see them. I can't take credit for them. Thought you guys might be interested. I was pretty surprised.
                        I'd love to see the render settings everybody likes a faster render!

Comment

• Here are the settings:

Comment

• Eheh, yes of course.
                            I used QMC aa and QMC GI to show a point precisely (no undersampling, direct GI calculation), and stress the speed difference.
                            Switching to an adaptive undersampler and to irMap is bound to get you much quicker results
                            Glad to hear it works well also with other methods, though

Lele

Comment

• Yes, works well... AND as expected

Comment

• Do you have any suggestions for working with HDRI?
                                Since the value/strength in HDR's seem inconsistent Im having some difficulty applying this approach.
                                "It's the rebels sir....They're here..."

Comment

Working...
                                X