Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VRay Sun, Sky and Physical Camera video tut + Bonus Script!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice render lele - you're right, the light does look really natural in it - I'll have to get the videos so

Comment

Nice one Lele!
      what 'bout maps?how do u deal with them atm?

i m sticking with colorcorrect atm cause i can use it for both color or maps...

this tuts r in the base of my concern towards the current material editor...it s very effective to preview correctly ur materials!
      Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
      nuno@ene-digital.com
      00351 917593145

Comment

Supposing we have a well levelled map (ranges from 0 to 255), we use the simplest of tricks, say for the diffuse slot: set diffuse colour to pitch black ( 0 ), and set the map amount (under the maps rollout, the spinner by the channel name) to 25.5 to achieve exactly the same results.
        You can quickly test this with a purely white bitmap: with black diffuse colour and 25.5 map multiplier it should look precisely as a vray color map set to white with rgb multiplier set to 0.255 (after all, they express the same thing when the underlying colour of the map is black 0).
        Of course, not all maps are 0-255 in range, so a bit more trial and error may be needed with them to find the ideal spot.

Hope it clarifies a bit, if not keep asking .

Lele

Comment

I changed the rgb value in the ouput of my maps to .25-.5 and it worked
          like a champ.
          Thanks again!

Regards
          Mike
          http://mikebracken.cgsociety.org/gallery/

Comment

aye, that can be done of course, but has a drawback: the map cannot be instanced anymore.
            If you leave the rgb mult at 1 and use the map influence spinner, you'll be able to instance the map across different channels, and tweak each individually (less memory overhead).

Lele

Comment

Very true. So just leave the difuse color swatch to black.
              Thanks.
              http://mikebracken.cgsociety.org/gallery/

Comment

am downloading at the mo, lookin forward to watchin them,

Thanks man,

Tom
                Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

Comment

i watched'em at work today.. very nice indeed thanks

Comment

Probably one of the most informative videos I have watched. It explains a lot about intensities and colors that I didn't understand.

Thank you very much

Travis

Comment

good to see them up for all to see.
                      Did you do the section on bitmaps yet?
                      Chris Jackson
                      Shiftmedia
                      www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Thank you all for the kindness, I'm glad I am giving back at least something to a community that gave me so much, for once...

ChrisJ: There's a small post further up explaining a trick to do that for textures.
                        I am working at a full length (3 hours is the target) interior lighting tutorial atm, anyways.
                        I'd like to set up the scene for both natural and artificial lighting under physcam, we'll see where that'll take me.
                        It's a LOT of work.
                        My respect for people like Chris Nichols has just shot through the roof for being able to hold it together for hours

Lele

Comment

This is something i thought would be nice to prepare, as it would provide a one-click solution to the conversion of non-physcam scenes' materials and maps.

http://www.scriptspot.com/lele/VRay_...verter_v1.1.ms

It's fairly self explicative, but I'll give you a quick rundown:
                          The script first collects all (and only) the VRay materials present in the scene.
                          It will then check if the diffuse channel of those has a texture (or nested set of...) which has an RGB_Output property.
                          If it does, the rgb output will be set to original*0.255
                          If it is just colour, it will add in a VRay colour map, and do what i show in the tuts: copy the original colour over, and multiply it to 0.255.

The same happens with the reflection channel, only that if that's set to pure black it will be skipped.

I preferred not to change the diffuse colour to black and map multiplier to 25.5 as if no textures are displayed, your scenes would look pitch black

The intended usage will be something like this: open an old scene, convert to physcam whatever camera was there, run the script, render an exposed view (or expose through the other script of mine), and UNDO if you don't like it.
                          The script will roll back ALL the changes done to the materials with one undo.
                          Pease note that it will change any vray material in the scene, assigned or not.
                          It will print out to the mascript listener what material has been changed, and how (colour or texture).
                          Hope this will make it easier to test out my ravings

Lele

Comment

blame daforce if it doesnt work!
                            Chris Jackson
                            Shiftmedia
                            www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by jacksc02
                                blame daforce if it doesnt work!
                                'Course, ye smarta** well steered away from this one, after having sparked it...

Poor DaForce is a kind heart, if a messy one, lol!

Lele

Comment

Working...
                                X