Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VRay Sun, Sky and Physical Camera video tut + Bonus Script!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cheers for the tute and info Lele.....go have some beer and enjoy chrimbo mate

Comment

Hey Micha!

The tutorial has no pretense to be "physically correct" (read the post above.)
      We have no brdf/bsdf implemented in vray (yet? ), so mine is an empirical method to get the exterior shot in range ( i implicitly consider sun and sky at a value of 1 o be "correct" and expose the camera and materials to it).
      I am not sure about the reflectance values you state (namely white being 80% reflective).
      Reading here , for instance, seems to be closer to what the empirical method and the proposed workflow suggested:

These spheres have an albedo (in other words, "The proportion of incoming light reflected") of 0.1-0.3-0.1 in RGB for a "dark" green colour.
      Under these circumstances, a much whiter material may be around 0.3-0.5 in all of them.
      Of course, it's scaled down to 8bit, so there may be three ways to produce a white rendered pixel: brighten the material, brighten the lighting (like in the case of the picture above from the top to the bottom row), raise exposure.
      Perception matters here, as we end up displaying on 8 bit devices.

As for gamma, LWF et al, i think a lot has been written, and i'd rather not get back into it ( i still smell smoke from past flames, lol).
      I use gamma in my tutorial to brighten darker ares, as that's what a gamma curve does to pixels.
      I could have saved an HDR image and have done that in post.
      A sidekick of darkening materials is that you gain contrast, brighten them, and you lose it.

Hope i clarified bits, and i know i skimped on others.
      We'll talk again about this after the holidays, anyways

Lele

Comment

Originally posted by siliconbauhaus
        cheers for the tute and info Lele.....go have some beer and enjoy chrimbo mate
        Eheh, just had one wild nite yesterday.
        It'll last me until at least new year
        I'm getting definitely older by the day (duh!)

Lele

Comment

I would love to see the video, but I'm having troubles to run it. I can hear the voice, but I am not able to see anything. What king of codes are you using?

Comment

Same problem here. Audio but no video.

Comment

get vlc, plays everything
              http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
              btw, thanks for the videos studioDIM.

Olli
              www.short-cuts.de

Comment

The one needed is the TechSmith codec, and you can find it @ http://download.techsmith.com/tscc/tscc.exe
                Audio is in mp3.

I'm humbled hearing you liked the tutorial

Lele

Comment

Still to this day im suprised just how many people dont know about that codec.

p.s. writing this on my 30" dell LCD hehehe

Comment

Originally posted by DaForce

I'm SO glad you stopped calling it my '30" beast', mate...
                    Father Christmas is as well, his honour saved

Merry Chrimbo!

Lele

Comment

I read this post and for me the only problem is the VraySky. It seems to dark in comparsion with the whole image, when a VrayCam is used and everything else appears correct.

I have my own workaround.
                      I setup the scene and use the power of the VrayCam and its options. when everything is lit well, excepting the Sky, then I put an outputmap to the Sky. now the problem is the Sky. It puts some more light to the scene and the image has a blueish tint. to correct this I tint the "white balance" in the VrayCam rollout with a blue color out of the rendered image to compensate the blueish tint. and volià!

I am not a fan of correcting all the colors, when the only problem is the Sky. If I could make a wish, it would be nice to have an option to multiply the brightness of the sky but not its GI. I think the problem is the VraySky, it's "only" a map and it's also acting like that.

here is a rendered image.

...and here is the scene. you must have max8 and vray 1.5 rc3
                      http://www.pixelschmiede.ch/chaos/se...ht_vraysun.zip

I don't know if it's physical correct, but for me it's good enough.
                      I ask me how maxwell handles this?

best regards
                      themaxxer
                      Pixelschmiede GmbH
                      www.pixelschmiede.ch

Comment

Originally posted by studioDIM
                        Originally posted by DaForce

I'm SO glad you stopped calling it my '30" beast', mate...
                        Father Christmas is as well, his honour saved

Merry Chrimbo!

Lele
                        Yeah also my GF is not sure WHAT to think now

Comment

Hey maxxer, surely enough, it's one of the options i covered in the tut (darkening the sun multiplier darkens the sun as well; using an output map in the background slot does the trick too, even though i cover that when we have a white BG, rather than the sky), but we part from phisical-like behaviour from the materials, as well as bending what the Sky and Sun are supposed to do.
                          What i propose is to stop thinking in 8 bits: that is the heritage of old CG, not the new sun, sky and camera .
                          Maxwell is a closed system (it doesn't work with anything else than its own materials and cameras), hence it's a lot easier for them to automatically bring things into range.
                          Try the same render of yours as is, and with darkened colours plus gamma, and see what happens to rendertimes, and white dots

Lele

Comment

Originally posted by studioDIM
                            Try the same render of yours as is, and with darkened colours plus gamma, and see what happens to rendertimes, and white dots

Lele
                            yeah!
                            i double that! it seems a smarter way of exposing rather than mess up within the relations (physically correct) between the sun+sky+camera!
                            Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
                            nuno@ene-digital.com
                            00351 917593145

Comment

How is all this affected if I don't use the VRAY frame buffer and just use the MAX buffer? I modified my MAX gamma and lut settings to 2.2 with affect color and material editor set to on. I also have my bitmap input gamma set to 2.2. I am not getting the same kind of results Lele?

Best regards,
                              Dave Vaughn
                              helpdesk

Comment

In that case, using the colormapping settings will apply the 2.2 gamma twice.
                                You can leave the VRay colormapping gamma at 1 if you use the max VFB and the max gamma is set to 2.2 (or the other way around )

Regards,

Lele

Comment

Working...
                                X