Archi glass question again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archi glass question again...

Does anyone know how to make good glass material for exteriors?

As I think it should be a "reflection in air". No refraction calculations, no IOR, no cast shadows and it should work well with GI.

Usually i dont use any glass objects in window frames, but now i need a glass object that will reflect something and dont affect on others.

There is a way to have such result by calculating irmap without windows, save map, and make a final render with glass in window frames using pre calc of irmap. But... it's too time consuming and boring....

Thnx al lot.

I second this one. I have had a big problem with window glass that comes out completely invisible or non-reflective. If anyone has any settings suggestions or rendering methods that they think might work I'd be all ears.

Eagerly waiting....mouse in hand

Comment

how is it too time consuming?

group the glass, hide it, render, unhide and tell it to use map, render again.

saves even more time if u opt to not render image first time around and just calc.
      5 years and counting.

Comment

Psy, what about interior shots? If you hide the glass during calc fase, you won't get GI in the reflection when you turn it back on?

And if you do an incremental update with the glass, the glass itself prevents skylight to enter the room and light up the part of the model in the reflection.

Then you have to a) use Vraylights as skylight portals (which in many cases is slower than skylight alone or b) make mirror spheres that reflect the part of the scenes visible in the glass reflection, save the IRmaps, and hide the spheres, unhide the glass and render... This is time consuming.

A good solution would be to able to exclude an object from skylight...

There must be an easier way? Anyone have a different approach?
        Cheers,

/Thomas
        Eyecadcher Media

Comment

TJE
          you can use vray light as a skylight then excluse the glass.
          Natty
          http://www.rendertime.co.uk

Comment

Try the egz glass material on www.vray.info it's pretty good.

Zap
            How come Psychics have to ask for your name?

Comment

Working...
            X