No announcement yet.

Sampling tutorial for V-Ray 3.20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am looking at VRayGlobalIllumination , not the RAW one. And i am using Global Subdivs 0 , to override all materials / lights subdivs. So now MSR is 40 , looks like i need to boost it more , image overall does not have any small details, only glossy reflections and stuff - this is typical interior. Getting threshold to 0.005 done the trick , though rendertime is huge - i am rendering it in 5k long side , and looks like it will be around 19 hours on about 8 machines So on 0.01 noise level on GI channel only was higher than on other channels. Would like to cut it to 6-8 hours on 6 machines
    Last edited by Oleg_Budeanu; 06-10-2015, 06:58 AM.
    Available for remote work.
    My LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/olegbudeanu/

Comment

• Vlado's profiling a lot of scenes at the minute, if there's nothing but GI in the scene there's a good case for going right for that with your sampling but as you say there's reflections to consider too - might be worth sending it over to him to have a look at. The other option is that 40 in the msr will add up to more shading sampling potentially than anything set to the default 8 subdivs, if your scene is all default then perhaps you could put your subdiv multiplier back to 1.0, unless there's other subdiv changes in your scene it should be the exact same I'd wager, then you can go in and locally up your GI subdivs to be a bit higher. Are you using brute force / light cache?

Comment

• Yep , on bruteforce / lightcache
        Well it's not something problematic , just want to tune it up. I am just trying to get rid of AA on walls and ceiling and looks now it is happening with about 60 MSR , though yeah it is quite slow on glossy reflections and still adding AA there. Looks like i will need to add more local Subdivs.
        Thanks for ideas !

Comment

• Originally posted by Oleg_Budeanu View Post
          Well it's not something problematic , just want to tune it up. I am just trying to get rid of AA on walls and ceiling and looks now it is happening with about 60 MSR , though yeah it is quite slow on glossy reflections and still adding AA there.
          If you have the time for it, I would love to take a look at that scene and see why it needs such high settings.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

• Actually i would love you to take a look at that scene if you have time !
            is it Vlado@chaosgroup.com the magic e-mail where you send a link to scene download and it comes back to you with a solution ?

Comment

is it Vlado@chaosgroup.com the magic e-mail where you send a link to scene download and it comes back to you with a solution ?
              Yes. Though I can't guarantee there will be an immediate solution... but it would be good to take a look.

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

• No problems, it will be interesting to see what you will come to, as it is still really slow for me , cannot get times lower than 9-10 hrs on 11 machines distributed. Old universal settings with irradiance map dealt with that one with 6 PC's for 5 hours.
                Will send you scene tomorow first thing , thanks for help !

Comment

Old universal settings with irradiance map dealt with that one with 6 PC's for 5 hours.
                  Well, Brute Force is going to be slower than Irradiance Map. Have you tried with vlado's setting but using IM/LC instead of BF/LC? I just did a low ress interior scene that rendered in 18 minutes with IM/LC and 42 minutes with BF/LC. Both were using vlado's settings, the only change was IM -> BF.

Comment

• Actually i have not tried , but that's the thing - i want to use Brute Force I am pretty sure that if i will use Irradiance map i will get adequate time.
                    Just sent you that scene, Vlado.
                    Last edited by Oleg_Budeanu; 07-10-2015, 02:07 AM.

Comment

• Vlado did you have a chance to look at my scene yet that I mailed you last week Tuesday?
                      Kind Regards,
                      Morne

Comment

• same question here

Comment

• Is this possible to control lights subdivisions when global subdivision mult. is set to 0?
                          I think this would be useful in case of lights portals with "store with irradiance map" option set to on.
                          I have always used high subdivision level in case of such lights (about 100) to avoid splotches.
                          When global subdivision mult. is set to 0 this settings doesn't matter and I get splotches in irradiance map.
                          ___
                          sorry for my English

Comment

• Originally posted by Mnietek2707 View Post
                            When global subdivision mult. is set to 0 this settings doesn't matter and I get splotches in irradiance map.
                            Which V-Ray version? We fixed this at some point.

Best regards,
                            Vlado

Comment

• Most recent version.
                              But keep in mind I mean subdiviosions in lights - not IM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mnietek2707 View Post
                                Most recent version. keep in mind I mean subdiviosions in lights - not IM.
                                A, hm. Will check it out.

Best regards,
                                Vlado

Comment

Working...
                                X