X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vlado View Post
    So here is an updated version:
    http://www.spot3d.com/vray/misc/vraytriplanartex.zip

I think I managed to incorporate all suggestions, but if I've missed anything, please let me know.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    Hallelujah!

Comment

NEW VERSION ROCKS.

i can now slap dirt and scratches (or even, at a push, fabric textures etc) on an entire room full of stuff, without seams, and the randomisation controls mean even if its collapsed, i can stick a materialbyelement on there and get different mapping on each element. no repeats

its basically exactly what i wanted.

if i was being picky, it would be good to have a 90 degree or 180 degree lock option on the random rotation, since often textures have a direction or grain. totally random rotation doesnt work in this case.

anyway what a nice present this plugin is. its not just Neil who has been waiting a long time for somebody to do this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	randomised triplanar.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	406.2 KB
ID:	858626

thats a single collapsed object, no uv mapping. took all of 30 seconds to set up. just some randomised material ids to drive the mapping offsets.
      Last edited by super gnu; 19-10-2015, 02:03 AM.

Comment

just thinking outside the box here, since of course the feature requests never actually end:

would it be possible to access the blend gradient? for example plugging gradient ramps or procedural noses into a map slot for the edge fade between axes? might be useful for avoiding the smooth gradient that is sometimes an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by super gnu View Post
          if i was being picky, it would be good to have a 90 degree or 180 degree lock option on the random rotation, since often textures have a direction or grain. totally random rotation doesnt work in this case.
          I got this covered - if you set the XYZ rotation to something other than 0,0,0 - these will be used as rotation increments for randomized rotation.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
            I got this covered - if you set the XYZ rotation to something other than 0,0,0 - these will be used as rotation increments for randomized rotation.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            bingo! yep its pretty much the perfect blended box plugin.

Comment

Fantastic! Thanks Vlado

Was 'World Space' option a no go? I imagine using reference node mode would make it harder to reuse shaders between different scenes as well as taking a few more seconds to set up each time.

A couple ideas to make it more awesome....

- Blend radius and curve (or maybe gradient?)
              - Randomization range, something like all scattering soulutions have (min max values for offset and rotation.)

....Give the devil a little finger, eh

Comment

Wow !

This plugin is so great.
                Thanks Vlado (and Neil for the idea ) !
                Gil Guminski
                cynaptek.com

Comment

Originally posted by viscorbel View Post
                  Was 'World Space' option a no go? I imagine using reference node mode would make it harder to reuse shaders between different scenes as well as taking a few more seconds to set up each time.
                  I got this covered too - if you set the mode to "reference node" but don't actually pick a node, you'll get world space.

- Blend radius and curve (or maybe gradient?)
                  Hm, I'm not sure what would be the usefulness of that? The blend part is almost invisible in most cases anyways?

- Randomization range, something like all scattering soulutions have (min max values for offset and rotation.)
                  Again, not sure what would be a practical use case for that?

Best regards,
                  Vlado

Comment

-World space, awesome!

- Blend radius and curve
                    Most of the time it's not needed, but in some of my tests there was a problematic transition that I wanted to tweak. Increaseing Blend amount made the blurred transition too visible, so I wondered if larger blend radius combined with smaller blend amount would look better.

-Randomization range
                    Ok, imagine a wall with some sort of horizontal stones sticking out. Let's say I wanted to give some bump to them that has mostly horizontal elements. Would be nice to randomize the rotation, but no more than 5-10 degrees to still keep the mainly horizontal look.
                    Probably could get away with just randomizing the offset, and skipping rotation randomization altogether, but I sometimes have a control fetish for things like this.

Anyway, these are just some random ideas. The map is fantastic as it is

Comment

• Vlado, mark my words, carry on like that and you'll put all the other render engine out of business...

Stan
                      3LP Team

Comment

• Originally posted by viscorbel View Post
                        -Randomization range
                        Ok, imagine a wall with some sort of horizontal stones sticking out. Let's say I wanted to give some bump to them that has mostly horizontal elements. Would be nice to randomize the rotation, but no more than 5-10 degrees to still keep the mainly horizontal look.
                        Probably could get away with just randomizing the offset, and skipping rotation randomization altogether, but I sometimes have a control fetish for things like this.
                        Since this is not needed too often, I can simply use a vraymultisubtex in texture slot with a few 'controlably' rotated copies of the texture. Takes a bit more work but does exactly what I wanted

Comment

• -" Blend radius and curve (or maybe gradient?)
                          Hm, I'm not sure what would be the usefulness of that? The blend part is almost invisible in most cases anyways?"

the blend is often visible, depending on the suitability of the map. i think a map slot for the blend gradient (if possible) would be a good option. you could use noise to break up the linearity of the gradient, and maybe get nice transitions using copies of the main map to drive the gradient. hard to visualise without testing though.

Comment

• Originally posted by vlado View Post
                            So here is an updated version:
                            http://www.spot3d.com/vray/misc/vraytriplanartex.zip

I think I managed to incorporate all suggestions, but if I've missed anything, please let me know.

Best regards,
                            Vlado
                            WOW
                            Thanks for this great update !!

Edit : I think moving it from "Standard" to "Vray" category would be cool also
                            Last edited by M.Max; 19-10-2015, 03:42 AM.
                            -------------------------------------------------------------
                            Simply, I love to put pixels together! Sounds easy right : ))
                            Sketchbook-1 /Sketchbook-2 / Behance / Facebook

Comment

• Originally posted by super gnu View Post
                              the blend is often visible, depending on the suitability of the map. i think a map slot for the blend gradient (if possible) would be a good option. you could use noise to break up the linearity of the gradient, and maybe get nice transitions using copies of the main map to drive the gradient. hard to visualise without testing though.
                              yes yes yes! using some sort of a map slot would help to break up the straight blend line quite a bit.
                              Forget the curve

Comment

• Originally posted by super gnu View Post
                                Ok, I see your point. I'm wondering if a separate slot is needed though, perhaps some built-in noise would be enough to break the gradient?

Best regards,
                                Vlado

Comment

Working...
                                X