Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please fix - Cosmos people models have poor poly smoothing and slightly too low polycount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please fix - Cosmos people models have poor poly smoothing and slightly too low polycount

Hi, I wanted to raise this fundamental issue with the 3D People models in the Cosmos browser. It appears as though the Cosmos people models have not been proxied with sufficient smoothing, the poly count on the people models is also slightly too low. As you can see in the images attached (just a small selection to demonstrate the issue), I was able to resolve some of the smoothing issues by duplicating to cosmos proxies to mesh and applying a smooth modifier. However, this isn't a practical solution to this problem, the Cosmos people need to be re-exported by Chaos with sufficient smoothing applied prior to making them proxies. The 3D people in the Cosmos library in general would also greatly benefit from around 20-30% higher polycount to make them more useable when used in the mid ground or closeup in a render.
    Alternatively, and preferably it would be ideal, when importing to be able to choose between low quality people and high-quality people in regard to mesh detail and texture resolution.

Thanks for reading and hope you will consider these fixes.

Hello coxgroup, thank you very much for reaching out to us.

I tried to replicate your scene, but unfortunately, I’m unable to reproduce the same artifacts.

Can you please create an issue here and attach your scene?
    Then please send me the ticket number and your V-Ray version here, so I can check.

by duplicating to cosmos proxies to mesh and applying a smooth modifier
    Alternatively, you can also apply the smooth/relax modifier on top of the VRayProxy.

be able to choose between low quality people and high-quality people in regard to mesh detail and texture resolution
    You can access the different LODs by pressing the Browse button next to the “Mesh file” of the VRayProxy. In the asset folder, you’ll see more .vrmesh files w/ the following strings in their names: 3dh (high poly), 3dm (mid poly), 3dl (low poly).

​Best regards,
    Tsetso
    Tsvetan Milanov
    Chaos

Comment

Hi tsetso, I'm using Corona Renderer, the other renderer product under the Chaos brand. However, I couldn't find a forum for Chaos Corona in your Chaos Cosmos list, so I posted here as a last resort.

Were the Cosmos library assets also created and tested for the Corona Renderer during production? there is no LOD control with corona proxies, the smooth modifier also has no effect when using Chaos Cosmos people and Corona Renderer.

When I drag a person from the Chaos library into the 3ds max viewport when using the Corona Renderer, the person model merges into the scene as a Corona Proxy, however they are render results I'm getting out of the box (attachments in my original post) with a simple sun/sky setup. I tried swapping the proxy mesh out for high quality as you suggested, but this had little to no effect on these smoothing artifacts.
      Last edited by coxgroup; 13-10-2022, 05:35 PM.

Comment

I was able to reproduce the issue with the Corona renderer.
        The team will be looking into it. Once we have an update I’ll share it here.

Thanks a lot for reporting!

Best regards,
        Tsvetan Milanov
        Chaos

Comment

Working...
        X