Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cant use Materials after updates

Hi
    I wanted to share an scene and a couple of materials has been updated and I cannot use the old ones

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	262
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	1209842
    Carlos Rodriguez
    RTstudio
    Tutorials

Hello,

Can you please share your V-Ray version?

Comment

Shure, im using 6.20.07
      Carlos Rodriguez
      RTstudio
      Tutorials

Comment

Thank you. Approximately how old is your Max scene? When was it created?

Comment

Its from April 2022
          As I can see in the properties Im using Vray 5 update 2.2 in 3ds max 2021
          Carlos Rodriguez
          RTstudio
          Tutorials

Comment

That could be the reason for the problem. I'll check w/ the colleagues from V-Ray for Max team, but AFAIK they support retrieving of older Cosmos assets since version 6.

Here's what probably happened:
            1. You created a scene w/ Cosmos assets using V-Ray 5;
            2. At some point we release updated versions of those assets;
            3. You downloaded the updates; Cosmos Browser keeps older versions on your HDD too, for compatibility reasons;
            4. You deleted older version of assets;
            5. You opened the scene and older versions could not be downloaded because the scene was created w/ V-Ray 5.
            V-Ray for Max already handles those situations, but the scenes must be created using version 6 and above (I'll double-check that).

For cases like yours, we're thinking of a solution that could be handled by Cosmos Browser itself. I'll make sure that we prioritize this task.

Comment

Ok so meanwhile if I install Vray 5 I could have those missing maps for the old version of the material?
              One of those materials is missing in the new version
              Hope you could integer both materials by renaming or having in a different category, specially from projects that needs to be updated
              Carlos Rodriguez
              RTstudio
              Tutorials

Comment

Always copy all Cosmos assets locally into your scene folder, every time. This way if assets get removed or changed you don’t have to worry. We cannot rely upon assets that can be altered by a third party (Chaos or anyone else).

I don’t trust any software as a service, especially assets. Best to have your own local copy with every project, which you can back up like any other assets.

Comment

ChuckRT :
                  Originally posted by ChuckRT View Post
                  Ok so meanwhile if I install Vray 5 I could have those missing maps for the old version of the material?
                  No, unfortunately it does not work that way. Keep in mind that Cosmos is a different software and is not part of V-Ray; Cosmos installs together w/ V-Ray, Corona, Vantage, etc. And it has it's own version (can be seen in the [...] menu –> About) that is different from the V-Ray/Corona version. Also, assets have nothing to do with the version of the software. Each asset has its own version (called revision).
                  One of those materials is missing in the new version
                  Which material?
                  Hope you could integer both materials by renaming or having in a different category, specially from projects that needs to be updated
                  We don’t rename assets. Different asset revisions have different paths for the resource files, and thats on purpose.

Joelaff:
                  We never remove assets unless a content-providing partner forces us to do so (so far this happened only once and it was for few decals). Also, we don’t rename assets; paths are different for different revisions and that's on purpose, so that old scenes continue to work properly. However, there are some circumstances in which this does not work (see my previous post). But as I already said – we're working on a solution.

Comment

hristo_chakarov

Hi, thanks for clarifyng about Cosmos,
                    Sorry my mistake, the materials are not missing, but maps have been renamed thats why I couldt find them in my downloaded files, also the bump map has been replaced for a normal map
                    The materials are ​Concrete_Flooring_J01_2m (now Concrete_Flooring_J01_200cm) and Stone_B_150cm
                    The maps are renamed example:

Concrete_J_Diff_hires_srgb.tx - 14e06973_Diff_4k_srgb.tx
                    Stone_B_Diff_01_hires_srgb.tx - 2a74df87_Diff_4k_srgb.tx

I have replaced the maps and Im having similar ressults but as I said, the bump has been replaced for a normal bump and in the case of the stone I was using the bump as for Displacement map now is missing

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	171
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	1210157
                    Last edited by ChuckRT; 11-06-2024, 09:13 AM.
                    Carlos Rodriguez
                    RTstudio
                    Tutorials

Comment

It’s not specific to cosmos. It’s just generally a good idea to copy all assets to the project folder anyway. We do it for the itoo stuff as well.

Comment

I always do but in some rare cases (like this one) I didnt, I assume that coming from Cosmos, assets would always be there, wrong ahhahaha, it doesnt matter anyway, I could always change them for another similar, but I wanted to know what was going on here, for future assets from cosmos Ill always save them separate
                        Carlos Rodriguez
                        RTstudio
                        Tutorials

Comment

The missing maps are from the old V-Ray material library shipped with the installation of V-Ray 5.
                          Now the new V-Ray material library is in Cosmos and some of the materials had to be updated to match the Cosmos standard.

The missing maps like the bump from "Stone B 150cm" you can get found in 3 different ways:
                          1. Instal V-Ray 5 and during the installation download the old Library again and will have all the maps.
                          2. Download the old Library without installing V-Ray 5 by using mtllib.exe
                            the mtllib.exe can be found in:
                            C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\VRay3ds Max20xx\bin
                            The default download directory is C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\V-Ray Material Library.
                            If you need to change it, use the following command line:
                            Code:
                            mtllib.exe -targetDir="C:\path\to\V-Ray Material Library"
                          3. See the attached file.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by hristo.dimitrov; 11-06-2024, 11:01 PM.
                          Hristo Dimitrov | chaos.com
                          Chaos Cosmos Representative | cosmos.chaos.com

Comment

Thanks hristo.dimitrov this should do it
                            Carlos Rodriguez
                            RTstudio
                            Tutorials

Comment

Working...
                            X