No announcement yet.

Change default download destination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a little strange ... being VRay a professional tool, any professional studio, it is based on a network, so with centralized assets and NAS or something like that ... any freelancer I think does not fail to have a NAS where he has centralized information ... who puts the assets on your own computer ??? A programer?
    Nicolau Pais www.id3d.pt

My current hardware setup: HP Z820 32-Core Dual E5-2670 128GB RAM - NVIDIA® Quadro K5000

Comment

Another question ... do I need to log in to each MAX session?
      Nicolau Pais www.id3d.pt

My current hardware setup: HP Z820 32-Core Dual E5-2670 128GB RAM - NVIDIA® Quadro K5000

Comment

Hi idesign,

You need to log in once and your login will be remembered the next time you access Chaos Cosmos.
        Also, you will be asked to login again the first time after you update the assets download folder.

Please, let me know if you experience any problems.

Best,
        Kalina Maneva
        Product Manager
        Chaos Cosmos

Comment

thank you for this thread. I was trying to configure it to a shared network location as well.

Comment

Hi rusterberg,
            Storing to a shared network location is not supported at this point but we are looking into providing a solution to that problem.
            Follow the announcement in this Announcement forum for news on that.

Best,
            Kalina Maneva
            Product Manager
            Chaos Cosmos

Comment

I do not have permission to change JSON file. How do I get permission

Comment

Originally posted by melissa_jacob View Post
                I do not have permission to change JSON file. How do I get permission
                Change permission for windows users (check full control):

Comment

Same problem here, we are unable to use this service because we can't use our network render farm with it. Unlucky. I think that network folders are a must and this feature has to be implemented assap.

Comment

+1 for support for network drives. This is simply a must.
                    And it would be great to be able to point to the precise drive + folder of choice in a Preferences/Options menu inside the Cosmos window.

I love the addition of the feature though! I just prefer not to store tons of files on the system drive.
                    http://henrikbclausen.com

Comment

that'd be great +1

Comment

Originally posted by idesign View Post
                        It's a little strange ... being VRay a professional tool....
                        Likewise I don't get the default to be putting things into the user/documents location. Given work from home setups these days we aren't using network shared assets currently, but even just installing locally is a pain. We have separate admin accounts for doing installations vs everyday use and not all users have admin rights. (I expect this is common in Enterprise) So these installs are defaulting to our admin/docs and having access problems from regular accounts. Between Cosmos and the VRay5 Mat library I've spent a fairly ridiculous amount of time chasing down info on the forum to get things working effectively. Can we just get an obvious choice of install locations on the installers?
                        Last edited by rifkin; 20-03-2021, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kalina.maneva View Post
                          Hi all,

Below are instructions on How to configure the Cosmos Browser asset download directory (on Windows)
                          As Vlado mentioned, we are working to publish a documentation article on that but we don't want to keep you waiting:

===========================
                          When you start downloading Cosmos Assets, these will be saved to a default local directory: C:\Users\[User]\Documents\Chaos Cosmos\Packages

You can change this directory by editing the Cosmos Browser configuration file. To do so:
                          1. Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\ChaosGroup\ChaosCosmos
                          2. Open the file config.json with an Editor of your choice, could be Notepad as well
                          3. Find the part: "working_dir":"C:\\Users\\[Your User]\\Documents\\Chaos Cosmos" and replace the path with the new desired directory, while preserving the syntax. Save the changes to config.json
                          4. Restart the installed Cosmos Browser Service (CCBService).
                            To do so, in Windows go to Task Manager>Services.
                          5. When the service starts again, it will create two folders under the newly specified directory: Packages and Updates.
                          You will be asked to sign in to Cosmos Browser again.
                          From this moment on, Cosmos assets will be downloaded to the newly created Packages

Note: Please note that Cosmos assets downloaded previously to the default directory C:\Users\[User]\Documents\Chaos Cosmos\Packages will remain hidden from the Cosmos Browser after the new directory configuration takes effect. So, you need to delete them.
                          ===========================

Let me know if you encounter any problems. The final document will contain details for Mac users as well.

Regards,
                          For me its not working
                          service CCB.. after restarting it stay always stopped.
                          I need your help kalina.maneva
                          Please =)
                          Last edited by newzboy; 15-03-2021, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Hi Kalina,

Vray 5 was installed at the office by the IT departement. At the beginning I couldn't use the asset from the Chaos Cosmos. After a long investigation we found out why. They installed Vray 5 as "admin" and so the default location from the folder was "Users\adm\Documents\\Chaos Cosmos". Since I was using Vray as "non admin" I couldn't use the asset of the Chaos Cosmos. As workaroung the IT derpartement gave me the permission to acces this file.

Now I read it's possible to change the directory of the save folder but it would be really better if the default location is not on the admin folder.

Comment

Hi Anne009,
                              Thanks for reporting that. We will work to provide a better experience for cases like that.
                              Best,
                              Kalina Maneva
                              Product Manager
                              Chaos Cosmos

Comment

Originally posted by newzboy View Post

For me its not working
                                service CCB.. after restarting it stay always stopped.
                                I need your help kalina.maneva
                                Please =)
                                kalina.maneva

Comment

Working...
                                X