Chaos Player and real time playback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chaos Player and real time playback

Is there some checkbox or setting I need to adjust to get Chaos Player to playback in real time? So far as I can tell caching is enabled by default -- can't find any obvious setting anywhere that needs to be enabled although the lack of any visual cache feedback (e.g. color change in the timeline) doesn't make it totally clear. I like the player but so far cannot get 4k frame sequences to play back in anything close to real time.

You can try disable the caching (Edit>Disable Caching Globally).
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Also, depending on what you mean - if it's that playback isn't as smooth as expected on high-res sequences, we have a known issue that we're currently working on, it's been reported in this thread: https://forums.chaos.com/forum/chaos...-back-smoothly
      Hopefully we can put out a fix for this soon.

Other than that, we have an option to skip frames, although I doubt it's what you need, but here goes just in case:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	skipframes.png
Views:	480
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	1142258
      Alex Yolov
      Product Manager
      V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
      www.chaos.com

Comment

Originally posted by hermit.crab View Post
        You can try disable the caching (Edit>Disable Caching Globally).
        Bit confused by this suggestion -- isn't the point of caching to *enable* playback in real time?

Comment

I notice now that actually there IS visual feedback on the cache in the timeline -- it's just that it's the same color as the surrounding UI so not obvious unless you happen to be watching as it gets written. Might be a good idea to make that a different color/more obvious. I've since found out that our output resolution is only 2K and at that resolution everything seems to be working OK, so I'm not sure what the issue with 4K was.

Comment

Hey, SonyBoy,

We've been working on this issue and internally we believe we've found a solution. It would be very helpful if you can download this experimental build, give it a try and let us know if things have gotten better: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Mdq...ew?usp=sharing

The build is Windows-only and uses OpenGL, so you'll need a decent graphics card.
            So far we've tried a few different approaches and using OpenGL is the only one that showed promise.
            Alex Yolov
            Product Manager
            www.chaos.com

Comment

Unfortunately I don't have admin privileges to install this...

Comment

Hmm, it shouldn't require different privileges than the official/stable builds. The only difference is that this build is not signed, so Windows will prompt you if you're sure you want to install it, because it's not sure where it came from.
                Alex Yolov
                Product Manager
                www.chaos.com

Comment

In any case - this made it to a hotfix that was just released, you can get a new official build that should run faster: https://download.chaos.com/?license_...=-1&product=66
                  Alex Yolov
                  Product Manager
                  www.chaos.com

Comment

Hello,
                    I've tried installing the April 29th update and I can't seem to get caching working on my end. Feels like I'm missing something basic, as I'm just dealing with a 1080p 1200 frame JPG sequence. Playback ranges between 10-20 fps. 'Disable Caching Globally' is not enabled, and I've tried selecting the layer and choosing Layer>Preload Into Cache. I have 'Enable Automatic Preload' enabled. I've looked all over the UI and can't seem to find a fix. Any help is appreciated.

EDIT:
                    Strangely, I am able to get the frames to cache if I click and drag along the timeline with my cursor. Haven't been able to get it to work any other way. Would prefer that it cached the entire sequence on its own.

EDIT 2:
                    Got it to work by right-clicking on the layer and selecting 'Disable Caching', then unselecting 'Disable Caching', then selecting 'Preload Into Cache'. I swear I tried this with the main toolbar and it didn't work, but it does seem to work when doing that via the layer context menu. I'm probably crazy. All works well now.
                    Last edited by andy_lewis; 10-05-2022, 02:41 PM.

Comment

When Edit > Enable Automatic Preload is enabled, any sequence you load will be automatically added to the cache.
                      Unless you have 'disable caching globally' activated (either from the Edit menu or from the toolbar).
                      The "preload all layers" is a way to 'force' caching for all layers (there's an option to do this per layer in the Layer menu). "Preload all layers" will work only when 'disable caching globally" is OFF (the toolbar icon will be greyed out if it is).

Name:	caching.png
Views:	408
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	1147925

Disable caching globally + enable automatic preload are saved (remembered) between sessions, so tweaking them in one session, then closing and opening the player again will remember the last choice.

There's one other reason why loading a sequence won't cache or will only partially cache, even with preload enabled - memory is taken by other applications.
                      The toolbar indicator (the one with the % sign) shows how much memory is currently free. Right clicking on it brings up a menu that allows you to specify how much memory the player should leave free (for other processes).
                      If memory is reserved by other applications - there may not be enough for the player to use for caching.

Name:	memory.png
Views:	388
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	1147926

Does any of this help?
                      Alex Yolov
                      Product Manager
                      www.chaos.com

Comment

Working...