Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by npg View Post
    You can send to nikola.goranov <at> chaos.com

Could you try switching keyframes with V-Ray GPU IPR? Is it as slow as when using Vantage?
    Hi, my colleague has sent relevant scenes to Nikola goranov <at> chaos. com
    Please check it. If you don't receive it, I'll inform her to check it again

Comment

Thanks! I received the file. It may take a while to investigate, but we will surely post here when there is new info.
      Nikola Goranov
      Chaos Developer

Comment

Thanks! I received the file. It may take a while to investigate, but we will surely post here when there is new info.
        HI,
        Today, I caught a new problem. I have another big scene. After loading with vantage, the video memory only uses 8GB.
        However, during the real-time link of my GPU, the GPU information in the task manager showed frequent ups and downs, and then my whole computer became unusually slow.
        This problem first appeared

Click image for larger version  Name:	011.png Views:	0 Size:	13.9 KB ID:	1148021

Comment

Is this reproducible or did it happen only once? Is it possible that other processes were using a lot of GPU memory?
          Nikola Goranov
          Chaos Developer

Comment

Is this reproducible or did it happen only once? Is it possible that other processes were using a lot of GPU memory?
            About GPU rendering exceptions. Replacing the latest NVIDIA design driver has been solved

Comment

q976431, regarding the scene you sent: it seems that the problem with the Forest objects occurs when a Forest object is selected and you move the time slider. In this case Max emits an internal message (related to Track View) that causes V-Ray to re-export the geometry instancer which is slow in itself. If you select some other object this doesn't happen. The other thing that slows things down is the "vehicles" layer because it is indeed animated and a lot of objects and materials are re-exported when the frame changes.
              Nikola Goranov
              Chaos Developer

Comment

q976431, regarding the scene you sent: it seems that the problem with the Forest objects occurs when a Forest object is selected and you move the time slider. In this case Max emits an internal message (related to Track View) that causes V-Ray to re-export the geometry instancer which is slow in itself. If you select some other object this doesn't happen. The other thing that slows things down is the "vehicles" layer because it is indeed animated and a lot of objects and materials are re-exported when the frame changes.
                I didn't choose the forest at that time. It was already very slow. Maybe it would be slower to choose it?
                Perhaps these things have no place to optimize? If so, I will be careful not to use so many vehicles;

Although these slow reasons have reduced my efficiency in the production process, I can also use other ways to avoid it, such as temporarily disabling forest or not adding vehicle layers for the time being.
                However, in this case, when rendering the sequence, because it is unavoidable to display all the contents, the final output time will become longer. For example, the rendering time of one frame is 30 seconds, but it takes an additional 20 seconds to wait for switching to the next frame. Maybe you can optimize the way about the final rendering sequence? For example, send all animation parameters in the timeline to vantage temporarily, instead of rendering each frame by moving the timeline.

Maybe it's hard to achieve?
                Because some functions depend on the update of the timeline, such as the camera range of forest;

In addition, as shown in the video I sent to Alexander, the final rendering sequence will cause the rendering content of 3dsmax and vantage to be out of sync. When vantage's progress reaches the middle, it updates the data from 3dsamx. As a result, there is not enough time left to render. Vantage seems to start the frame rendering without waiting for the data to be received
                Last edited by q976431; 18-05-2022, 11:16 AM.

Comment

I used to use 3090 for testing
                  Today, when I use 3080, this problem appears again. The GPU utilization presents a very strong fluctuation, and the rendering speed is very slow, as if the GPU is not used. My driver has been upgraded to the latest version

Only Vantage is using GPU
                  And it's repeatable. When I render the sequence, fluctuations begin to appear

Comment

Originally posted by q976431 View Post

I used to use 3090 for testing
                    Today, when I use 3080, this problem appears again. The GPU utilization presents a very strong fluctuation, and the rendering speed is very slow, as if the GPU is not used. My driver has been upgraded to the latest version

Only Vantage is using GPU
                    And it's repeatable. When I render the sequence, fluctuations begin to appear
                    Can you record a video of this happening ?
                    Also, you should be using GPU-Z, not the Windows Task Manager when looking at GPU utilization.

Greetings,
                    Vladimir Nedev
                    Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Originally posted by vladimir.nedev View Post

Can you record a video of this happening ?
                      Also, you should be using GPU-Z, not the Windows Task Manager when looking at GPU utilization.

Greetings,
                      Vladimir Nedev
                      OK, I'll try to record a video about this problem. After uploading youtube, I will reply here to remind you to check

Comment

Originally posted by q976431 View Post

I didn't choose the forest at that time. It was already very slow. Maybe it would be slower to choose it?
                        Perhaps these things have no place to optimize? If so, I will be careful not to use so many vehicles;

Although these slow reasons have reduced my efficiency in the production process, I can also use other ways to avoid it, such as temporarily disabling forest or not adding vehicle layers for the time being.
                        However, in this case, when rendering the sequence, because it is unavoidable to display all the contents, the final output time will become longer. For example, the rendering time of one frame is 30 seconds, but it takes an additional 20 seconds to wait for switching to the next frame. Maybe you can optimize the way about the final rendering sequence? For example, send all animation parameters in the timeline to vantage temporarily, instead of rendering each frame by moving the timeline.

Maybe it's hard to achieve?
                        Because some functions depend on the update of the timeline, such as the camera range of forest;

In addition, as shown in the video I sent to Alexander, the final rendering sequence will cause the rendering content of 3dsmax and vantage to be out of sync. When vantage's progress reaches the middle, it updates the data from 3dsamx. As a result, there is not enough time left to render. Vantage seems to start the frame rendering without waiting for the data to be received
                        Maybe some things can be optimized, but it would require someone from the 3ds Max team to spend time on it (probably significant amount of time). I don't know if they can fit this in their schedule.

We (Vantage team) should look into the issue where the render goes out of sync with very large scenes like this.
                        Nikola Goranov
                        Chaos Developer

Comment

Maybe some things can be optimized, but it would require someone from the 3ds Max team to spend time on it (probably significant amount of time). I don't know if they can fit this in their schedule.

We (Vantage team) should look into the issue where the render goes out of sync with very large scenes like this.
                          Can you tell them(VRay) these problems now? Or they don't know yet?

Comment

Yes, I sent them the info. But don't assume that there will be results yet.
                            Nikola Goranov
                            Chaos Developer

Comment

Yes, I sent them the info. But don't assume that there will be results yet.
                              Maybe you can develop your own planting system? In this way, the effect can be obtained more quickly, rather than being exported through 3dsmax. For example, add a column of vantage parameters in VrayMtl, such as grassland. After turning on the switch, the grassland will be automatically generated in vantage with certain parameters. After all, it's too slow to export data when using forest to spread millions of grasslands. For example, automatic water ripple is automatically attached with ripple effect after turning on the switch. And provide additional adjustable parameters in the vantage rollout of VrayMtl?

Comment

Hello q976431,
                                Maybe you can develop your own planting system?
                                We are looking into adding scattering functionality to Vantage. However, we'll most likely add it as a separate scattering tool and not as a part of the VRayMtl. This way there will be more control over the scattered objects, density, transformation etc.
                                Water ripples and waves would require procedural maps in bump and this is not yet supported. Also, adding it to the VRayMtl is not ideal, since not every material requires this effect. We could start by making some material for the most basic types of water/waves, would these work?

Best regards,
                                Simeon

Comment

Working...
                                X