Scene crashes on machine with better video card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scene crashes on machine with better video card

I have a big scene i want to load into Vantage.
    On my machine with a Nvidia RTX 4070 ti it will not open. It comes with a popup that it cannot load the scene. In the log file i see several lines where it says: ran out of memory

Then i try it on another machine with exact the same hardware. This machine only has a Nvidia rtx 2080 ti. This machine can load the scene.

I allready updated my graphic driver to the latest studio driver, but still no succes.

Any idea what can cause this?

I attached both the error logs.

Tnx!
    Attached Files

It seems to be pure luck that it runs on the second machine. The log shows that it uses A LOT more memory than what is available on the GPU, so apparently Windows and the graphics driver somehow managed to use system RAM to cover the difference. On both machines, you should have received a warning popup about insufficient memory that asks if you want to disable "safe allocations" (unless it is already disabled permanently in the app preferences). Crashes are expected in this scenario.

10:41:27.470 [dev] Geometry mem | Dedicated : 16.31 G ( 15.41 G alloced) | Shared : 23.33 G ( 19.04 G alloced) | Total : 39.64 G ( 34.44 G alloced) |
    10:41:27.470 [dev] Instance mem | Dedicated : 2.38 M ( 2.34 M alloced) | Shared : 2.38 M ( 2.34 M alloced) | Total : 4.75 M ( 4.67 M alloced) |
    10:41:27.489 [dev] BLAS mem | Dedicated : 4.50 G ( 4.10 G alloced) | Shared : 0.00 ( 0.00 alloced) | Total : 4.50 G ( 4.10 G alloced) |
    10:41:27.489 [dev] TLAS mem | Dedicated : 4.00 M ( 3.91 M alloced) | Shared : 832.00 K ( 780.00 K alloced) | Total : 4.81 M ( 4.67 M alloced) |
    10:41:27.741 [dev] Total geom mem | Dedicated : 20.82 G ( 19.51 G alloced) | Shared : 23.33 G ( 19.04 G alloced) | Total : 44.15 G ( 38.55 G alloced) |
    10:41:27.742 [dev] Texture mem | Dedicated : 23.44 M ( 23.33 M alloced) | Shared : 0.00 ( 0.00 alloced) | Total : 23.44 M ( 23.33 M alloced) |

10:41:27.742 [inf] Process Dedicated | Budget : 10.03 G, Usage : 21.86 G, Available for reservation : 5.14 G, Current reservation : 0.00
    10:41:27.742 [inf] Process Shared | Budget : 63.20 G, Usage : 25.17 G, Available for reservation : 31.72 G, Current reservation : 0.00

(dedicated means on the graphics card)
    Nikola Goranov
    Chaos Developer

Comment

Thank you!

Indeed on the machine that works the setting "safe location" is off.
      When i switch it off on my machine i can load the scene. It does not give any problems so far.

Another question: does Vantage resize the textures ? Or can i reduce the memory usage by resizing all textures ?

Comment

We have an advanced render setting called "Enable dynamic textures" which is enabled by default. This loads the correct texture mip-map that is sufficient for the current camera position. When the position changes maps are unloaded and/or uploaded at the required resolution.

In your case it looks like geometry uses the biggest chunk of memory, so you could try reducing that. The log shows there are some subdivided meshes. Is it any better if you disable subdivision?
        Nikola Goranov
        Chaos Developer

Comment

When i switch it off on my machine i can load the scene. It does not give any problems so far.​
          By the way, this only works because you have so much system memory - 128 GBs.
          Windows (or the graphics driver, I am not sure) can use up to HALF of the 128 GBs (64GBs in your case) to offload buffers from the GPU memory.
          For your scene, I think Vantage uses ~40GBs of this memory (we can reduce this in the future).
          If you had just 64 GBs of system memory (32 GBs usable for GPU buffers), the scene wouldn't run.

Greetings,
          Vladimir Nedev
          Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Thanks for the explanation. Good to know why it works now.

Comment

Originally posted by vladimir.nedev View Post

By the way, this only works because you have so much system memory - 128 GBs.
              Windows (or the graphics driver, I am not sure) can use up to HALF of the 128 GBs (64GBs in your case) to offload buffers from the GPU memory.
              For your scene, I think Vantage uses ~40GBs of this memory (we can reduce this in the future).
              If you had just 64 GBs of system memory (32 GBs usable for GPU buffers), the scene wouldn't run.

Greetings,
              Vladimir Nedev
              https://forums.chaos.com/forum/chaos...070-and-a-3090

Also getting crashes between different machines but as far as I can tell its not being solved in the same way as this as it crashes as soon as you hit render on the sequence. the scene is open and running on all 3 machines but this one cant render a sequence.

Comment

If the sequence render resolution is larger than the interactive render resolution, it will need to allocate more memory for the output and it probably fails to do that.
                Nikola Goranov
                Chaos Developer

Comment

Originally posted by npg View Post
                  If the sequence render resolution is larger than the interactive render resolution, it will need to allocate more memory for the output and it probably fails to do that.
                  but that doesnt keep in line with the "safe" feature and a card with 4GB less memory working when this one doesnt. also not really increased by much in resolution as it is only tests.

the 3070 does not have safe ticked off. the 4070Ti with it on or off will crash despite having more memory.

Comment

Hi TKT,

From the log that you send in https://forums.chaos.com/forum/chaos...070-and-a-3090 I see that you have 2x4070Ti, is that correct? Can you try to open the scene with only 1 GPU? You can set the number of render devices from Edit>Render devices and after you select only 1 restart Vantage.

Best regards,
                    Alexander​
                    Alexander Atanasov

V-Ray for Unreal & Chaos Vantage QA

Chaos

Comment

Working...
                    X