Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hang time between frames when using "render animation with chaos vantage" in 3ds Max

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hang time between frames when using "render animation with chaos vantage" in 3ds Max

Having an issue with rendering animations through chaos vantage where some days it will just render absolutely fine but on other times there will be long hang times between each frame at 100%, the frame will be a few seconds but it will get stuck at 100% n cause a much longer delay in rendering.

Card is a 3090 and its only using about 8gb of the VRAM. tried the latest update of vantage but the issue still exists. seems to a bit random when it happens. It'll work one day but not the next.

Any ideas on what will make it hang between like this even though it may have been fine the day before?

Hi, thanks for posting. How do you save your output? Are you using a network location?

some days it will just render absolutely fine but on other times there will be long hang times between each frame at 100%
    Are you testing the same scene and frames when this happens?

How is your hardware doing when you start experiencing the freeze? Please monitor your memory and make sure you are not running out.
    Also check if everything is running within normal operating temperatures.

Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Originally posted by vladimir_krastev View Post
      Hi, thanks for posting. How do you save your output? Are you using a network location?

Are you testing the same scene and frames when this happens?

How is your hardware doing when you start experiencing the freeze? Please monitor your memory and make sure you are not running out.
      Also check if everything is running within normal operating temperatures.
      Tried saving to desktop and to network location, they were quick tests being saved as mp4. Same scene, same camera etc.

It was a colleague having the issue, just tried some experimentation my side.

Looks like the issue was related to Forest Packs visibility culling. Perhaps it glitched out when he originally rendered, so the culling disabled itself or vantage ignored it, rendered very fast. Next day the culling was taken into account and destroyed render speeds between frames.

I turned off all culling options in FP and it renders perfectly fine again.

I'm only guessing that the culling was some how disabled by vantage/max, as its only way i can see it working one day and not the next as they say the forest pack hasnt been edited at all during this phase.

Comment

Forest Packs visibility culling
        What do you mean by that? Is it the camera clipping/density falloff etc. feature?
        I tried it in a simple scene and this seems to work on my end.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3dsmax_2023-12-15_17-38-06.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	504.2 KB
ID:	1197791 Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-12-15_17-36-21.gif
Views:	143
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	1197792
        Could you send us a simplified version of your scene that reproduces the issue for a review?
        You can do that here or trough the support contact form.
        If you go to the support contact form, add a link in your message there so we can track you faster.
        Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

What do you mean by that? Is it the camera clipping/density falloff etc. feature?

Click image for larger version  Name:	3dsmax_2023-12-15_17-38-06.jpg Views:	0 Size:	504.2 KB ID:	1197791 Click image for larger version  Name:	2023-12-15_17-36-21.gif Views:	0 Size:	1.46 MB ID:	1197792
          Could you send us a simplified version of your scene that reproduces the issue for a review?
          If you go to the support contact form, add a link in your message there so we can track you faster.
          It was camera visibility clipping, the view angle one so only what you see infront of the camera.

Name:	image.png
Views:	123
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	1197801
          I'll try simplify the file to show the issue and send.

Comment

Name:	3dsmax_2023-12-15_17-38-06.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	504.2 KB
ID:	1197791 Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-12-15_17-36-21.gif
Views:	143
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	1197792
            I save selected just the FP, camera and a little bit of building. Tested if it was still freezing, it definitely is! The forest pack seems quite intense(file size) but it renders perfectly fine without the clipping enabled. Just uploading it now to send.

I'm actually on holiday after today for the christmas period but i'll pick back up when i return. Hopefully the file highlights what might be the issue, whether its the models the artist is using or just a bug.

Comment

Note that Limit to Visibility makes the ForestPro object animated, which means it has to be re-exported on each frame.
              If you can afford it i.e. the number of instances is not insanely high with Limit to Visibility​ disabled,
              it's better to have this option OFF, so the additional export on each frame is faster.

Looks like the issue was related to Forest Packs visibility culling. Perhaps it glitched out when he originally rendered, so the culling disabled itself or vantage ignored it, rendered very fast.
              Vantage can't ignore this option because it's used in the ForestPro code.
              If your camera is not actually animated, maybe there is a glitch when deciding whether the ForestPro object itself is animated or not.
              The safest option is to have Limit to Visibility​ disabled​ (if possible).

Greetings,
              Vladimir Nedev
              Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Working...
              X