Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vantage 2.2.2 - Very slow scene/asset loading

Hello,

After updating to ver. 2.2.2 I have noticed that assets/scenes that have displacement enabled (2d/3d doesn't matter), the loading process is very slow comparing to 2.2.1, especially when the VrayMtl contain displacement map.

For example an asset that on version 2.2.1 with displacement the load time was ~14 secs. now on 2.2.2 the same asset took 44.11 seconds to load! Frankly this is ridiculously slow on a i9 10980xe @4,6 GHz

Seriously these extreme loading times for assets makes Vantage obsolete, because you can't wait on more complex scenes with displacement 10-15 mins.

Can you check on your end some assets with very high poly counts + displacement and see if the loading time is longer on 2.2.2 than 2.2.1?

As a matter of fact I have uploaded some screenshots illustrating the loading times and what type of displacement I'm talkin' about.

Right now I'm forced to revert to 2.2.1

Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 02-08-24 at 04.54 PM.png
Views:	365
Size:	864.8 KB
ID:	1201616 Click image for larger version

Name:	Vantage 2.2.2 Loading Time.png
Views:	313
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	1201617 Click image for larger version

Name:	Vantage 2.2.1 Loading Time.png
Views:	311
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	1201618 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 02-08-24 at 04.50 PM.png
Views:	311
Size:	6.66 MB
ID:	1201619

Forgot to add a note:
    It doesn't matter if I have DLSS set to 4x perf. or 1x DLAA. The loading times are the same, slower on 2.2.2.

Comment

Tested another scene and the loading times are nearly four times longer...
      Something's definitely wrong...

Please see the screenshots

Vantage 2.2.2
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Vantage 2.2.2 Loading Time.png Views:	0 Size:	3.41 MB ID:	1201624
      Vantage 2.2.1
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Vantage 2.2.1 Loading Time.png Views:	0 Size:	3.40 MB ID:	1201625

Comment

Can you send us one of these scenes, please ?

Greetings,
        Vladimir Nedev
        Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Originally posted by vladimir.nedev View Post
          Can you send us one of these scenes, please ?

Greetings,
          Vladimir Nedev
          Hi Vlad,

I have sent you the file. I hope I have packed the textures correctly, anyway they're from Archmaterials vol. 1 - 19_Sand_Pitch.

Try to load the scene on 2.2.1 and on 2.2.2. You'll see that I'm right with the loading times
          Last edited by vasile_bulgac1; 08-02-2024, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Thank you for the scene. I will take a look.

Greetings,
            Vladimir Nedev
            Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Hi, thanks for the new update. unfortunately when i downloaded and installed the latest 2.2.2. the link button in 3dsmax is clickable but not responding and the scene doesnt link with vantage. This is the first time im having problem after update. even in the taskbar when i click on the vantage icon it doesnt respond and is not working at all. i had to reinstall the 2.2.0 and now it is working smooth. something is very wrong please update me on whats happening and what are the next steps towards this issue.​

Comment

Hi amirhassan_razmara,

What version of V-Ray and 3ds Max are you using? Does the live link not work only with the latest release of Vantage(2.2.2) or it doesn't work with the previous one as well(2.2.1)? Can you record a video of the issue because I cannot reproduce it on my end?

Best regards,
                Alexander​
                Alexander Atanasov

V-Ray for Unreal & Chaos Vantage QA

Chaos

Comment

Thank you for the scene. I will take a look.

Greetings,
                  Vladimir Nedev
                  Any update(s)...?

Thanks

Comment

After updating to ver. 2.2.2 I have noticed that assets/scenes that have displacement enabled (2d/3d doesn't matter), the loading process is very slow comparing to 2.2.1, especially when the VrayMtl contain displacement map.​
                    You are right that there is a performance regression when loading meshes in the 2.2.2 build.
                    Our next release will have a fix.
                    However, the performance regression was not related to displacement, it happens on any mesh.
                    The scene you sent me didn't have displacement applied on the ~100 million triangle mesh that caused the slow down.
                    You probably shouldn't use such detailed meshes as the base for displacement - you should leave the displacement algorithm to add the necessary detail.

Greetings,
                    Vladimir Nedev

Comment

You are right that there is a performance regression when loading meshes in the 2.2.2 build.
                      Our next release will have a fix.
                      However, the performance regression was not related to displacement, it happens on any mesh.
                      The scene you sent me didn't have displacement applied on the ~100 million triangle mesh that caused the slow down.
                      You probably shouldn't use such detailed meshes as the base for displacement - you should leave the displacement algorithm to add the necessary detail.

Greetings,
                      Vladimir Nedev
                      I knew something was wrong, that's why I have wrote here the moment I noticed the issue.

About very detailed meshes as the base for displacement, I use'em in some cases because sometimes displacement algorithm is too weak for the fine details...

Anyway I'm glad I was able to notify you about this bug and can't wait the fix

Comment

Originally posted by vasile_bulgac1 View Post

Anyway I'm glad I was able to notify you about this bug and can't wait the fix
                        Yes, thank you for the quick report.

Greetings,
                        Vladimir Nedev

Comment

Yes, thank you for the quick report.

Greetings,
                          Vladimir Nedev
                          Any ETA on the hotfix?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by vasile_bulgac1 View Post

Any ETA on the hotfix?

Thanks
                            Next week.

Greetings,
                            Vladimir Nedev

Comment

Working...
                            X