Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When using Triplanartex inside a mix, composite or comptex maps via Vray Normal Map they are not blended with other bitmaps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When using Triplanartex inside a mix, composite or comptex maps via Vray Normal Map they are not blended with other bitmaps

Hello,

When you use a triplanar tex inside a mix, composite or comptex maps which is then plugged into a normal map all other bitmaps in the mix, composite or comptex map are ignored and not blended together.

This is easily seen with the mix map and setting the mix amount to 0 or 1, nothing changes. But the problem persits across all three blend type maps mix, composite or comptex

Scene can be downloaded here Please note: Swap texture to Triplanar one (using same scene for other open issue) > https://we.tl/t-McS2ZA7xwk

Yes, this is unsupported - the two normal maps exist in different tangent spaces,
    so it's not possible to blend them correctly (without issues where the shadows are incorrect).
    Vantage chooses to use only the TriplanarTex in this case.

There is no work around currently, beside turning the non-triplanar normal map into a bump map.
    In the future, we might support multiple normal maps by using additonal VRayBumpMtls.
    That will be the correct way to blend multiple normal maps with different uv tangent spaces.

Greetings,
    Vladimir Nedev
    Last edited by vladimir.nedev; 25-03-2024, 08:28 AM.
    Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Thanks for the fast reply, if it's unsupported for the minute then I'll try to work around it. I checked out the VRayBumpMtls and that sounds like a potential solution yes

Edit: When you support Blend material will that also work?

Comment

Edit: When you support Blend material will that also work?​
        No, support for VRayBumpMtl is a separate issue and we haven't planned when to do it.

Greetings,
        Vladimir Nedev
        Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

So just to clarify when u support VrayBlendMtl (from my understanding this is being worked on) if I use two different materials one using all tri-planar textures and one not then I will face the same issue with Normal mapping?

Comment

if I use two different materials one using all tri-planar textures and one not then I will face the same issue with Normal mapping?
            Short answer : no, this should work.

Each sub-material of the VrayBlendMtl will be able to have its own bump and normal map with the same restrictions as now.
            However, you won't be able to connect VrayBlendMtl to VRayBumpMtl, there will be a warning printed in this case and the VrayBlendMtl will stop working.
            We will release it soon, so you can test it yourself.

Note that you can have only one tri-planar texture per normal map, as each one defines its own tangent space.

Greetings,
            Vladimir Nedev
            Last edited by vladimir.nedev; 25-03-2024, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Sounds good thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X