Support for composite, mix and VRAYCompTex maps in bump slot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Support for composite, mix and VRAYCompTex maps in bump slot

This would be great because I thought I was going crazy until I realized they weren't supported. I am also only using normal maps before any of these.

This is quite essential if creating blended materials and using normal maps... Displacement works fine with these maps but need the normal map to give it texture.

Thanks

EDIT: So it does work with normal maps just not bump maps - it was a bump map that was causing an issue so acutally I can work around this by disabling the bump on the node before
    Last edited by rita_sobral; 19-01-2024, 08:03 AM.

If you only have the compostite map in the normal slot of the VrayNromalMap and then use a Bitmap for the bump slot. Vray Material ignores the bump as well. I would of thought a Bitmap in the bump would be ok?

So the only work around for this if you need the bump map and the normal map is:

- Create two composite maps for both the normal and the bump
    - Render each map out and then load them both in as Bitmaps to the VrayNormalMap as individal normal and bump Bitmaps

Comment

If you only have the compostite map in the normal slot of the VrayNromalMap and then use a Bitmap for the bump slot. Vray Material ignores the bump as well. I would of thought a Bitmap in the bump would be ok?​
      Sorry, I don't understand the exact setup you are describing.
      Composite maps are supported for normal maps, but not for bump maps.
      However, if you are combining normal maps that exist in different tangent spaces (i.e. they have a different uv transformation), results may be rather strange, i.e. incorrect.

Greetings,
      Vladimir Nedev
      Last edited by vladimir.nedev; 19-01-2024, 08:42 AM.
      Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

See screenshots to see what I am describing. I thought that by using the Bitmap in the bump slot of the VrayNormalMap it would still render the bump when used alongside a compostie in the normal map slot. But that is not the case.

To render both normal and bump you need to use Bitmaps in both slots.

Thanks
        Attached Files

Comment

I think that's unexpected.
          Can you attach or send me the scene/material ?

Greetings,
          Vladimir Nedev
          Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Sent to your email via WeTransfer

Comment

vladimir.nedev I've just seen that if I remove the normal map and then add the composite bump map (material called 'Doesn't Work') to the VrayNormalMap the bump works? So that actually means that composite is supported in bump slot but only if you are not using a normal map as well...

Try it yourself on the file I sent you!

Comment

Hello vladimir.nedev I think I have come across the issue you are referring to unless this is a new issue
                However, if you are combining normal maps that exist in different tangent spaces (i.e. they have a different uv transformation), results may be rather strange, i.e. incorrect.
                I am using a tri-planar texture in slot one and a standard bitmap texture in slot two. Vray GPU renders correct but Vantage shows a checkered pattern and seems to ignore the second slot and its maps. Is this what you are referring to?

If I try to live link with this normal map texture setup I get the error attached as well. But if I open live link first then add the composite map that's when I get the checkered pattern.

See screenshots

Attached Files

Comment

Deleted message

Last edited by rita_sobral; 29-01-2024, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Is this what you are referring to?
                    Not really, no idea where that checkered pattern comes from. Edit: I would expect such pattern with bump mapping, not normal mapping.​

If I try to live link with this normal map texture setup I get the error attached as well. But if I open live link first then add the composite map that's when I get the checkered pattern.​
                    Can you send me this scene ?
                    The error you are getting looks like a crash due to running out of memory.

Greetings,
                    Vladimir Nedev
                    Last edited by vladimir.nedev; 29-01-2024, 07:24 AM.

Comment

vladimir.nedev sorry long week please see scene - https://we.tl/t-dG7ODanUWq -

M testing is showing that composite maps are not working correctly in the Normal map when a VrayTriplanar Map is plugged into the composite. Basically, everything gets ignored in the Composite when triplanar is used apart from the initial slot (even when triplanar is used in all slots) no masks seem to work either.

The checkerboarding is coming from adding a UVWRandomizer + stochastic tilling to a bitmap that is in the composite and then plugging that into NormalMap. However, if you skip the composite map and go straight to the VrayNormalMap then checkboarding disappears. Technically UVWRandomizer is supported in Normal Map but when piped through a composite it exhibits strange behavior.

You can see all this in the attached scene so you can play with it.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X