Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone help me with Fuel and my lack of understanding

Hi there,
    I am trying to have a situation where a sphere enters an area of fuel and ignites it. So basically the fuel is not alight, but the sphere is of a temperature that will then ignite the fuel.

Does anyone know of a tutorial that might break the whole fuel and ignition down a little for me, feeling a tad dumb at the moment! I get the ignition temperature of the grid and the whole 300 is the sweet spot. I have a sphere that is 500 temperature and the ignition is 400.

I suppose the main thing is the fuel, how can I have a 'pool' of fuel to ignite. I can't do an initial fill of an object with fuel? If I set a box as the emitter of fuel then it will basically just fill the grid.

That is where I am stuck I think, how to have a controlled area of fuel that will be ignited by an object that has a higher temp than the ignition temp?
    Last edited by stelees; 23-06-2021, 09:22 PM.

Hey, just recorded a quick demo:

Didn't go into too much details about the params, but I hope it conveys the overall idea. Here are the more detailed descriptions of the options and the process: https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...FireSmoke+Fuel

Cheers!
    Svetlin Nikolov, Ex Lead Phoenix developer

Comment

Amazing, that is really helpful. Is there a way to have the sphere not burn but to trigger the fuel when it comes in contact. So in effect the sphere meets the fuel ignition value but doesn't but acts as a trigger to burn the fuel from a point of contact?

Comment

aaaand sorry one more than.. what should I look at if I want a turbulent explosions that spreads across the fire source but doesn't really rise. I have turned gravity down, but I just want a fast spreading fire that will spread around the fuel when it is ignited.

Think this

https://youtu.be/mpr3XG5Tzmk?t=131

Comment

Originally posted by stelees View Post
          Amazing, that is really helpful. Is there a way to have the sphere not burn but to trigger the fuel when it comes in contact. So in effect the sphere meets the fuel ignition value but doesn't but acts as a trigger to burn the fuel from a point of contact?
          Hmmmm, the sphere carries the temperature and the temperature renders as fire by default... Sooo I'm gravitating towards some kind of render time solution - maybe just use a render cutter to just remove the burning sphere. Alternatively, the Fuel could be rendered as fire, but in this setup this does not work because it has to gradually ignite. Now I see the pros in having a 3rd channel - separate temperature, separate fuel, and separate fire channel - this would allow you to easily set this up...

Comment

Originally posted by stelees View Post
            aaaand sorry one more than.. what should I look at if I want a turbulent explosions that spreads across the fire source but doesn't really rise. I have turned gravity down, but I just want a fast spreading fire that will spread around the fuel when it is ignited.

Think this

https://youtu.be/mpr3XG5Tzmk?t=131
            Oh, for this specific setup I would really set the gravity to zero first just to make sure it stays in place. Then, if it would need some movement, would start to gradually increase it, or alternatively - add some force if it has to move in a more specific way or if I want just some channels to be affected.

Comment

Working...
            X