Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gentle beach waves

Hello,

I would love some help please if possible.

I am trying to create some slow gentle beach waves, lapping up against the rock and beach.

I used the beach waves sample scene, I imported my mesh and rocks in and resized the grid to fit the size of my mesh and ran the simulation.

i reduced the wind speed to 200cm and tried lower again but I cant get slow gentle results. I have attached some examples below of wha tI have done. smaller values get smaller waves but they seem to be really close together and stills quite fast.

does rate of change have anything to do with controlling speed of waves?

attached the look I am after https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1T06UhcX0Q

Any pointers to help me get nice small, gentle waves, would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks!!!

https://docs.chaos.com/display/PHX4M...ing-Beachwaves

Attached Files
    Last edited by william.morris; 19-02-2024, 03:32 PM.

Hey, William

In order to get smaller and gentler waves, there are a few things that you need to change.

You will need to dial down the level of detail a lot - try something like 1 to 4 - this way you won't get this many details produced by the Wave force.

Then you will need to scale down the texture on the one of the axes so that the texture is stretched in the direction where the waves come from - I see that you already did that on the Z, you might need to stretch it more.

Finally you can play around with the Rate of change - lower rate of change will produce slower waves.

Cheers!
    Georgi Zhekov
    Phoenix Product Manager
    Chaos

Comment

Hi Georgi,

Thanks for getting back to me. I will try those tips out as they are something that I have not tried yet.

any idea why I am getting horrible flickering geometry where my waves hit the beach and rocks. i used 3cm voxel size, around 54million voxels.

Also in your sample beach scene there was the main solid beach mesh and then there was a single plane labelled 'render gizmo' (set to non renderable) about 200mm below the surface of the main solid beach. what is the purpose of this single plane? see attached.

Many Thanks,

Will
      Attached Files

Comment

Hey Will,

For the flickering you can check these tips here - https://docs.chaos.com/display/PHX4M...+and+Smoothing

It could be that the grid resolution might not be enough in your case, even though 54M voxels is not a small resolution, in this case you might need more. You can try to make the simulator narrower so that you work only with a portion of it so that you can iterate faster and try to bump up the grid resolution.

As for the render gizmo object - looks like it's not really doing anything in the scene - looks like it was used during the scene setup but it's not really needed for the final result.
        Georgi Zhekov
        Phoenix Product Manager
        Chaos

Comment

Thanks for coming back to me. I will test all your suggestions out

Comment

Working...
          X