Geometry mode / rendering phoenix sim as geometry question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geometry mode / rendering phoenix sim as geometry question

Is there a way to render different parts or really specific upper and lower value ranges of a phoenix sim as geometry?

I guess what I'm wondering is if there is a way to set an upper and lower limit on what is being rendered as v-ray geometry? It seems like there is only an upper (or is it lower?) limit defined by "surface Level". Or am I missing something?

What I am really looking to do is create and render two geometry objects, one for smoke and one for flames. All I can manage to do is limit it to the flame or both the flame and smoke. But I can't find a way to limit the geometry to just be the smoke. I would like to render in geometry mode pretty much what you can do in the view port preview by adjusting the upper and lower limits.
    t1t4
    www.boring3d.com

i see, the behavior you pursue is not the default one, but is fully achievable. you have to duplicate the simulator and redirect the input of the copy to the cache files of the original. setup both the simulators with the desired rendering appearance. to achieve behavior similar to the preview, use the density curve, make it to look like _П_, that means zero below the lower limit and above the upper limit.

Comment

where do i find the density curve? i am not seeing that anywhere in the phoenix object. is it called something else or a level down where its not initially visible?
      t1t4
      www.boring3d.com

Comment

colors and transparency dialog, the lowest tab.
        btw, i'm not sure that i understand your target. my suggestion was about volumetric rendering similar to those in the preview. if you need solid rendering, this changes the entire situation.
        you have to use a phoenix texture, to add an output texture, and to set the _П_ curve in the output texture, then put the output texture into the surface texture slot of another phoenix simulator, and put it to render in solid mode based on texture channel.

Comment

Okay, that makes sense. Yes I am trying to render it as a solid. I had a feeling I might need to use the texture and texture channel to do this.

Thanks for clarifying it.
          t1t4
          www.boring3d.com

Comment

Working...
          X